Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Filmtipp: The Great Silence
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Filmtipp: The Great Silence

Hi, I saw this movie when I was a child... a lot of years ago. And I forgot the name. But now I found it again. It's one of the best movies I remember.

Klaus Kinski did a really good job as the actor, he is one of the best actors of all time... maybe because he was a psychopath in real life.

Anyone heard about this movie?

11-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Filmtipp: The Great Silence

Never heard of this film before. I'm not a fan of westerns (exception made to "Dead Man", as it isn't a conventional western), but I might give this one a try.

I think that the only film I've watched with Klaus Kinski was Werner Herzog's "Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht"; his rendition of Count Dracula was quite impressive.

He was allegedly diagnosed with schizophrenia, doesn't mean he was a psychopath.

(This post was last modified: 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM by Ashtoreth.)
11-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(11-19-2013, 06:33 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Never heard of this film before. I'm not a fan of westerns (exception made to "Dead Man", as it isn't a conventional western), but I might give this one a try.

What do you think about "Once upon a time in the west"?
Westerns could be very fantastic. To be a fan doesn't automatically mean to like everything in the genre. I'm a horror fan, but dislike most of horror movies. Every genre has its good and bad movies. The good ones are very rare, but as more brillant.

(11-19-2013, 06:33 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: I think that the only film I've watched with Klaus Kinski was Werner Herzog's "Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht"; his rendition of Count Dracula was quite impressive.

Oh, I never watched this movie, but the trailer looks interesting.
Need to buy more movies with Klaus Kinski Big Grin

(11-19-2013, 06:33 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: He was allegedly diagnosed with schizophrenia, doesn't mean he was a psychopath.

Klaus Kinski was a very unique human. He was some kind of psychopath. This is the reason why he did an excellent job as an actor. His ego makes him to a genius - but he doesn't "play" his role, it's his true character!
He never red the scripts, he never did what the regisseur wants etc. He always was a "problem" for the team, but they couldn't make movies without him in his superb role.

Behind the scenes:

It was always hard to make movies with Kinski. And even when someone had to do an interview with him, you automatically was the loser! Kinski would shout and hit at you.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2013, 08:45 PM by Googolplex.)
11-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

(11-19-2013, 07:32 PM)Googolplex Wrote: What do you think about "Once upon a time in the west"?
Westerns could be very fantastic. To be a fan doesn't automatically mean to like everything in the genre. I'm a horror fan, but dislike most of horror movies. Every genre has its good and bad movies. The good ones are very rare, but as more brillant.

To be honest, I don't remember if I ever watched "Once Upon a Time in the West".
What I meant to say is that I don't feel much interest in watching westerns, maybe because of my misconception that it's just a bunch of cowboys shooting at each other.
I will give the genre another try. Smile

(11-19-2013, 07:32 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Oh, I never watched this movie, but the trailer looks interesting.
Need to buy more movies with Klaus Kinski Big Grin

It's a great horror film. Extremely slow-paced and visually fascinating.

You can watch it on YouTube:

(11-19-2013, 07:32 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Klaus Kinski was a very unique human. He was some kind of psychopath. This is the reason why he did an excellent job as an actor. His ego makes him to a genius - but he doesn't "play" his role, it's his true character!
He never red the scripts, he never did what the regisseur wants etc. He always was a "problem" for the team, but they couldn't make movies without him in his superb role.

Behind the scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ADI9p2wHY

It was always hard to make movies with Kinski. And even when someone had to do an interview with him, you automatically was the loser! Kinski would shout and hit at you.

Interesting footage, he seems to be really angry, haha. I wish I could understand German, I only picked up a few words (BAD words, mostly XD).

He speaks briefly on the "making of" video of Nosferatu and he was very calm there.

11-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Thanks for the link, but the video is not playable in germany because of music by EMI and other copyrights. Germany is very complicated.Huh

I found a recording from a making off with english subs:

An other "behind the scenes" talking with the director. The indians and the director thought about to kill Kinski. No joke!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLnDyVJzU38
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2013, 06:56 PM by Googolplex.)
11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks for both videos, very interesting and in-depth testimonials from Werner Herzog.

(11-20-2013, 04:55 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Thanks for the link, but the video is not playable in germany because of music by EMI and other copyrights.

Can you try to open the video with the link below and see if it's playable for you?

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/ukszLv37clw

11-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(11-21-2013, 11:39 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Can you try to open the video with the link below and see if it's playable for you?

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/ukszLv37clw

Thanks, but it still doesn't work. But I'll see to buy this movie soon.
11-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Find