Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra : The Comedy series
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
Penumbra : The Comedy series

There have already been a few proposals for making a parody of the Penumbra games - here and here.

So, I dare to pick up this difficult task and give it a go. My vision is about making it in a sitcom-like format with short, 5-10 minute episodes. Each would be done from in-game footage (practically a machinima of sorts) and would cover different parts of Overture and Black Plague.

Now, about the nature of the humour used in the series...
Should we have typical witty one-liners and all sorts of crazy dialogue between the protagonists (picture Philip and Red argueing through the walkie-talkie, etc.) ?
Should we parody the glitches, plot holes and quirks in the game ?
Should we use awkward, unrelated lines of dialogue, surreal gags and pop-culture references ?
I'm really open to any good suggestions. I could hardly make a funny script for each episode without some hints of what would you like to see...

If everything goes well, I plan to release a trailer or some sort of preview video in the upcoming weeks and post it here.

In the meantime, feel free to give me any useful feedback. You can start by voting in the poll above... :-)

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
10-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70
RE: Penumbra : The Comedy series

I'd go with a bit of everything, but mostly dialog. Perhaps the conversation could be red tellilng you about a certain glitch (believable of course)

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
10-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Find
Petike Offline

WindexGlow Wrote:I'd go with a bit of everything, but mostly dialog. Perhaps the conversation could be red tellilng you about a certain glitch (believable of course)

Well, there certainly is a lot to dig into... :-)
I recently came across a wacky glitch with a wooden board in the electric fence part of Overture. :-P LOL.

10-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I think you should do it like Ross Scott have made Freeman's Mind! Smile

But without voice acting of course, 'cause Philip never said anything ingame! Wink
So that means, that you'll have to write everything into video, like he's speaking in the game ("I've got to seal that door!" for example).

10-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Website Find
Petike Offline

Scraper Wrote:I think you should do it like Ross Scott have made Freeman's Mind! Smile But without voice acting of course, 'cause Philip never said anything ingame! Wink So that means, that you'll have to write everything into video, like he's speaking in the game ("I've got to seal that door!" for example).

Yes, I'm currently thinking of what path to take. "Silent protagonist" lines would surely be true to the original game... But I'm still only coming up with ideas so far and focusing on the trailer (which I hope you'll like). :-)

Hm, the poll seems to be quite favorable about making a parody. A close tie until now, though...

10-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Just don't matter about the poll, there's lots of other people than the people who voted into the poll! Tongue

10-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Website Find
Petike Offline

Scraper Wrote:Just don't matter about the poll, there's lots of other people than the people who voted into the poll! Tongue

Of course I know, that it's not very representative, Scrap. But hey, I was just interested in the public opinion. :-)

10-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Find