Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: My main problem with AMFP: Observer vs. Participator

(12-02-2013, 11:24 PM)Quizerno Wrote: I fail to see how an "exploit" that some players used is incentive to believe that players are going to ruin the immersion themselves. Since the first game generally encouraged saving resources, it puts one into a mindset. That alone is more immersive than going on without any sort of goal.

No, it's really not. Removing mechanics instead of fixing them is a bad idea and is a mark of laziness.

Going through a horrific area in order to survive, recover your character's memories or accomplish any other goal required by the story is enough incentive.

The inventory system in Frictional's games does not have any weight or space limit imposing on how much you can carry, as is the case in older horror games with combat such as Resident Evil and System Shock. To compensate for that in an adventure game without any use for weapons or protective gear, AMFP ends up forcing you to carrying vital items rather than having them disappear into your character.

Quote:I never mentioned naturalism, I said "natural." As in something that you'd believe people would write and/or say. It doesn't.

"How this machine now throbs about me, sensing its rebirth is imminent. The final descent beckons me to enter, as Lily once lay on our wedding bed summoned me into manhood."

I can imagine a fictional character speaking like that - a sexually repressed lunatic who compensates for the void left by his wife's death through obsessing over machinery. The insane ravings of Charles Manson and the Unabomber don't make much sense outside of their own logic, but nevertheless there are people who've written far, far worse.

Simply put, I can suspend my disbelief for a game which stars a slaughterhouse baron who turns rich people into meat pies and poor people into pigs that work for an insane supercomputer possessed by his evil heart who was driven mad by an Aztec god that let him see the future. Expecting something 'natural' to come out of that lunacy is futile.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2013, 02:41 AM by Alardem.)
12-03-2013, 02:40 AM
Find