Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Requiem - My review/feedback - contains spoilers
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30
Requiem - My review/feedback - contains spoilers

One final warning, if you haven't passed the game, you may be spoiled by reading on.

Using my dads copy of Windows, I was finally able to play Requiem. Overall, it wasn't too bad, but yet, it wasn't entirely Penumbra. At least my opinion, all are different in their own way.

Tech Demo: Most would agree, this was the scariest of them all. The atmosphere, music I think if memory serves, the true isolated feeling made this a real haunting place. Again, if memory serves, I don't think there is anyone talking to you, or any dialog over a PA system, or anything.
This gave you more fright and that 'isolated feeling'.

Overture: Although, not as great, it did give you an isolated feeling. In here, there was combat, which was okay. You had some crazy man talking to you via com radio/walkie talkie.

Black Plague: This was more like you were revisiting where people lived. It also gave you the feeling to fight to survive, to cure yourself from some plague. You again, have some crazed maniac/infected person talk to you. But for some reason, I felt more secure in this game. Was it because of Swanson? A place that looked more decent/home like rather than just stones all around me?

Requiem: Felt most like a dream. Maybe that was the intention. Some flashbacks here and there. No combat, no running from anything. Just a dream/nightmare sequence.

When I first part of Requiem (had to cut it short to go to bed; right after the sewer level), I thought about this all day at work and soon after I got home, I was eager to play more.
I past it today, sort of had fun, sort of didn't.

I think for the most part, it was pretty nice, but some was upsetting.

The keys were one. The puzzles, so so. Whoever that was over the PA seemed to have confused me a tad, she was basically talking to me.
And what happened to Clarence? I hear he died in Black Plague, saw it myself, but didn't Red die? and how about that other maniac that wanted a saw to cut off his hand. Didn't he die too? I think hearing more from them, Red and/or Clarence would have been nice. A semi longer game, and not too many of the same steps (like the sewer level) would have been nicer.
That sewer one had me going for a while, but maybe it was just late and I had to get to bed.

I think some are right though. This raised questions. Black Plague didn't for me. I understood it enough. But this, I am not 100% sure?

My only guess: After he sends the message (end of BP and intro to Requiem), he is knocked out. He then dreams a horrible nightmare, those 9 levels. thing is, this nightmare, if he does the wrong thing (like the END of Requiem), he can die. so at the end, we see him on the floor next to that pc.
that's all I could make of it.

The ending of level 9 sort of reminded more of the tech demo, going down the ramps/steps, right before the blockade and deja vu stuff.

overall, it wasn't too bad. excluding the tech demo, I think I like Black Plague the best. To me anyway, I sort of like Clarence more than Red. Clarence was a bit of a tease, and in some ways, scarier, able to erase stuff from your mind, play tricks, etc. but Red was great too.
that is all. thank you for your time
11-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26
RE: Requiem - My review/feedback - contains spoilers

requiem was a dream.

YEah i agree, the tech demo was fantasticlly tense. Overture had a bit of that in it, but it died in black plague.

And yeah, i seriously agree with level 9, it feels so much like the tech demo.

Not an image
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2008, 05:50 AM by ARes88.)
11-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Requiem - My review/feedback - contains spoilers

Yes. Requiem was a dream.

At the start of Requiem is the ending of Black Plague. You just sented the email and BOOM! - Infected rushes into the room and knocks you down.

At the end of Requiem, you get two choices:

Join Red and die...

or

Leave the whole place from door behind you.

Either way, it was a dream.

If you kill yourself, you see Philip lying on the floor.
If you leave the place you woke up in the ship at the beggining of the whole trilogy.

03-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Website Find