Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skyboxes not working. Game bug?
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Bug  Skyboxes not working. Game bug?

Hello,
I have a somewhat strange problem here. I'm thinking it could be something with the game or the way Amnesia handles dds files on a Mac.

I have a Mac with a Windows partition, so I can use either if I need to. Because the Nvidia plugin for Photoshop (used for creating .dds skyboxes) is only for Windows I went on there, created one and put it into my map.
It took a lot of tweaking, but I did get it working in the end and it looked great.
However, as soon as I go back to the Mac partition, the dds file no longer works in the game. It appears to work in the editor when I select the file, but when I save the map and open it in-game, the sky is plain white.

Some comparison images from the editor and game (I'm using the exact same level and assets in both):
Spoiler below!

Mac:

[Image: editor_skybox_mac.png]
[Image: game_skybox_mac.png]

Windows:

[Image: editor_skybox_windows.png]
[Image: game_skybox_windows.png]

As I said, the skybox works perfectly on Windows, so it shouldn't be anything wrong with the file or process.

It seems that even if I input the skybox.dds into the Level Settings in the editor, it remains blank after saving and reopening. Perhaps the problem is that it's never saved, instead of the game having trouble displaying it.

If anyone knows anything about this, please respond. I'm not excluding the fact that this could be a problem in the Mac version of the editors, but I certainly hope it isn't.
Thank you for any answers.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM by Mudbill.)
02-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Skyboxes not working.

If you have a .map_cache file with your map, delete that and see if that changes anything.

If not, make sure that wherever your skybox is located if it is not included in any of Amnesia's folders has been added to the resources.cfg file.

Otherwise, I got nothing :/

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
02-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

(02-01-2014, 10:39 PM)Romulator Wrote: If you have a .map_cache file with your map, delete that and see if that changes anything.

If not, make sure that wherever your skybox is located if it is not included in any of Amnesia's folders has been added to the resources.cfg file.

Otherwise, I got nothing :/

Thanks for the suggestions, although it still seems to be the same :\

I had actually forgotten to add the custom_stories directory to the resources.cfg after a reinstallation I did some time ago. I thought perhaps this would help, but it didn't. I tried copying the skybox to the main textures/envmaps location, yet same result. I tried manually typing the path to the file in the level settings in the editor, but again, it appears in the editor but not in the game.

I do delete the .map_cache files quite often too. Been working with HPL2 for 1.5 years now, so I'm quite custom to most of it, yet this skybox I do not know what to do about.

02-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

nope.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2014, 12:23 AM by 7heDubz.)
02-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78
RE: Skyboxes not working. Game bug?

Perhaps you should try to add the skybox by using a .hps, just create the .hps file for your map and simply add this

SetSkyBoxTexture("Skybox_name_here.dds");
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2014, 05:33 PM by Slanderous.)
02-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

(02-02-2014, 05:32 PM)Lazzer Wrote: Perhaps you should try to add the skybox by using a .hps, just create the .hps file for your map and simply add this

Thank you, it actually worked =)

I had completely forgotten this script existed. It still doesn't fix the problem with the editor, but it's a nice work-around. I surely won't mind using this from now on.

From this, I think it's safe to say that the problem is that the editor does not save the skybox even though it's selected. It might still be a bug within the editors. Would be nice if Frictional looks into it, but either way the script saves the day!

Thanks again! ^.^

02-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(02-02-2014, 05:55 PM)Mudbill Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 05:32 PM)Lazzer Wrote: Perhaps you should try to add the skybox by using a .hps, just create the .hps file for your map and simply add this

Thank you, it actually worked =)

I had completely forgotten this script existed. It still doesn't fix the problem with the editor, but it's a nice work-around. I surely won't mind using this from now on.

From this, I think it's safe to say that the problem is that the editor does not save the skybox even though it's selected. It might still be a bug within the editors. Would be nice if Frictional looks into it, but either way the script saves the day!

Thanks again! ^.^

No problem Wink
02-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Find
Radical Batz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Hey Mubill, I know you from youtube Big Grin
02-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

(02-02-2014, 08:58 PM)Badcat5550 Wrote: Hey Mubill, I know you from youtube Big Grin

Good day to you!

This forum is probably not a chatting site though, so small talk like this probably shouldn't be drawn out xP

02-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Find