Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editor loading paths
RaideX Offline

Threads: 33
Editor loading paths

I know this has probably been asked quite a lot and this is probably just due to my fussiness but i'd like to let the amnesia editors (i.e. the leveleditor) load from custom directories as i'm currently working on a total conversion and i'd like to keep my custom meshes and entities in the sub folder of this conversion instead of moving them to the static_objects folder in the main directory. Is there anyway to bypass that behavior of the leveleditor? If so i'd be glad to receive answers.

-RaideX

If you don't draw first, you don't get to draw at all... -The False Shepherd
03-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Editor loading paths

Put the directory of the custom directories into the main Resources.cfg.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Find
RaideX Offline

(03-02-2014, 03:23 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Put the directory of the custom directories into the main Resources.cfg.

I've already done that ofcourse. Let me just try to higher the priority by putting it to the top of the list.

EDIT: Nope, that did not fix it.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM by RaideX.)
03-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Find
MsHannerBananer Offline

Threads: 34

Well, I know it's not that great of a fix, and may not be exactly what you want, but you can make a custom folder in said static_object and entities folders inside the Amnesia directory (As an example, it would look something like this-> Amnesia: The Dark Descent/entities/YOUR CUSTOM FOLDER NAME HERE).

For the Full/Total Conversion I'm working on, that's the setup I have, because that's the easiest way to keep track of your custom entities and whatnot. I know it's not the greatest fix, but that's really the only way you can access your stuff in the level editor. As far as the other editors are concerned, you can simply open an entity from any directory you choose.

Once you have all the entities (and static_objects, etc) you want and need in your custom folders, you just copy and paste those custom folders them to the entities folder of your TC so that the engine can find them when people download your project.

I hope that makes sense, if not, I can make a video or something, haha. Big Grin

I actually don't think there's a solid way of 'bypassing' this kind of thing. The level editor can only look in certain directories, and I think that's something that's scripted into the program itself. Looking at the program now, there doesn't seem to be anything that would allow you to change the directories the level editor accesses, so the way I described above would be the only way really. :/

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 05:04 PM by MsHannerBananer.)
03-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Find
ExpectedIdentifier Offline

Threads: 10

Open MainEditorSettings.cfg which is in your Amnesia directory. You can set the directories for static objects, entities and stuff like that there like this:

StaticObjectsDir="ModFolder/static_meshes"

Closure ModDB page:

[Image: 16LO8Sx]
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 05:18 PM by ExpectedIdentifier.)
03-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Find
RaideX Offline

(03-02-2014, 05:02 PM)HannahDJA Wrote: Well, I know it's not that great of a fix, and may not be exactly what you want, but you can make a custom folder in said static_object and entities folders inside the Amnesia directory (As an example, it would look something like this-> Amnesia: The Dark Descent/entities/YOUR CUSTOM FOLDER NAME HERE).

For the Full/Total Conversion I'm working on, that's the setup I have, because that's the easiest way to keep track of your custom entities and whatnot. I know it's not the greatest fix, but that's really the only way you can access your stuff in the level editor. As far as the other editors are concerned, you can simply open an entity from any directory you choose.

Once you have all the entities (and static_objects, etc) you want and need in your custom folders, you just copy and paste those custom folders them to the entities folder of your TC so that the engine can find them when people download your project.

I hope that makes sense, if not, I can make a video or something, haha. Big Grin

I actually don't think there's a solid way of 'bypassing' this kind of thing. The level editor can only look in certain directories, and I think that's something that's scripted into the program itself. Looking at the program now, there doesn't seem to be anything that would allow you to change the directories the level editor accesses, so the way I described above would be the only way really. :/

yep. that was the workaround that I've been using. I guess there really is no other way. Though there is a config file named MainEditorSettings.cfg in the main directory, it doesn't seem to do anything as it resets itself after opening a editor. Thanks for the clarification though.

03-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Find
ExpectedIdentifier Offline

Threads: 10

(03-02-2014, 05:17 PM)RaideX Wrote:
(03-02-2014, 05:02 PM)HannahDJA Wrote: Well, I know it's not that great of a fix, and may not be exactly what you want, but you can make a custom folder in said static_object and entities folders inside the Amnesia directory (As an example, it would look something like this-> Amnesia: The Dark Descent/entities/YOUR CUSTOM FOLDER NAME HERE).

yep. that was the workaround that I've been using. I guess there really is no other way. Though there is a config file named MainEditorSettings.cfg in the main directory, it doesn't seem to do anything as it resets itself after opening a editor. Thanks for the clarification though.

Make sure the level editor is closed, save the changes to MainEditorSettings.cfg, then re-open the level editor.

Closure ModDB page:

[Image: 16LO8Sx]
03-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Find
RaideX Offline

Quote:Make sure the level editor is closed, save the changes to MainEditorSettings.cfg, then re-open the level editor.

The non-custom static_objects would then not load, am i right?

That would cause problems too.

03-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

I'd say it's best to just keep your custom folder inside /static_objects and /entities until you export your mod. Move them to your own folders and the game will load them fine if the paths are within the resources.cfg file. You'll have access to everything. Since it only requires moving the files once I don't think it's tedious or annoying.

03-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Find