Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Changing an entity's texture entirely...
CielsTenebreuse Offline

Threads: 2
Changing an entity's texture entirely...

So I was PARTIALLY successful with this... I changed the texture of the .DDS file, not simply alter it slightly or changed colors, I removed the old one and put a new one on altogether. I also altered the .dae and .ent file with Notepad ++ to match the name change accordingly, had the .mat file deleted and a new one made with Material Editor, had both mesh and texture imported to the entity in model editor, all based on the tutorial I watched and... well, the texture is definitely there but it's completely translucent when it SHOULD be a solid-looking object. I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the _nrm and _spec .dds files since they remained unaltered through all this, but I have no idea what to do with them.

I may very well keep this particular item if I ever need some weird glass installation piece of some kind, ha, but in the end I STILL won't completely have what I set out to make. Solutions? Hopefully?
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2014, 01:29 AM by CielsTenebreuse.)
03-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Changing an entity's texture entirely...

Did you apply an alpha channel to your dds file? If you export it as DXT1, it will have opaque alpha, which means no partial transparency. Black fields on the alpha channel represent solid texture, whereas white represents transparency. Perhaps you already know that. If that's not the problem, it might be the .mat file. Set the type to soliddiffuse if you haven't already. There is a type for translucent, which can make the texture like that. If it's neither of those, I'm not quite sure. Perhaps there's another factor to it.

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2014, 01:59 AM by Mudbill.)
03-06-2014, 01:58 AM
Find
CielsTenebreuse Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Changing an entity's texture entirely...

Ah, it was the soliddiffuse that was the problem. Now I can see it! Whether it should EVEN have been seen is another question. But anyway, thanks for your help! Big Grin
03-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Find