Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with an idea for a system?
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Help with an idea for a system?

I would like to ask if any of you know of a good system to use for a setup like the one I have.

As I mentioned in my previous thread, I have a 5x5 grid of rooms. Each room has a door to the room next to, but how should I go about naming these doors to use in a proper system for the script? The setup looks like this:

[Image: fric_sys_ex.png]

Currently I have each room named as what the co-ordinates would make out. For example the middle room is called x3y3 and so on. But the doors can't follow that exact system because there are several in each grid, all sharing with the grid next to. I can't name the doors x1y1 because if you understand the picture, that would conflict with other doors.

Do you have any ideas as to how I can organize this into a system? Preferrably something with numerals that are easy to incorporate into a script.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014, 09:53 PM by Mudbill.)
03-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Help with an idea for a system?

[Image: bjho5v.png]
That five on the Y axis should be up one higher, you get the idea.
Me messing around in paint.net for a few seconds.. perhaps that will do?

Yes, There would technically be no door @ (1,1) In fact there might be alot of odd coordinates, then again your problem isnt solved in any simple way that i see whilst toggling between it and league.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2014, 10:45 PM by 7heDubz.)
03-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Help with an idea for a system?

Yes, I've thought about this system a bit, but I figured it'd be very odd to only have every second co-ord mean anything. I might have to go with it if there's nothing else. I also had an idea resolving around using the room co-ord with the extension of _w for west etc, but that wouldn't work because they are linked to each other. One west would be another's east.

Hm, perhaps I can name them something like "x3y3_x3y2." Two co-ords that equal the door linking the two rooms. I wonder if I can pull that off.

If there's any other system that I just can't seem to realize, a headsup is of course much appreciated =)

03-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Find