Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Responsibilities of the Consumer in the Entertainment Industry?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Responsibilities of the Consumer in the Entertainment Industry?

(04-06-2014, 03:46 PM)BAndrew Wrote: Most people are making bad decisions all the time and they lack analytical thinking and I don't see this being resolved any time soon.

This is a key thing that I was getting at in my opening post: More popular things are being consumed by these people who lack so-called "analytical thinking".

Is it alright just to let them enjoy what they enjoy, or is it maybe better to try (Keyword) to educate them, and break down their previous world of knowledge?

Keep in mind that some people may not want to know better, and would rather live in blissful ignorance. Is this wrong?

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23

(04-06-2014, 05:13 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: This is a key thing that I was getting at in my opening post: More popular things are being consumed by these people who lack so-called "analytical thinking".

Is it alright just to let them enjoy what they enjoy, or is it maybe better to try (Keyword) to educate them, and break down their previous world of knowledge?

Keep in mind that some people may not want to know better, and would rather live in blissful ignorance. Is this wrong?

It depends on what you mean by "educate them". I think although it probably won't have any result we should try to help them decide more rationally what they want. Just because many people play COD (just an example) doesn't make it good (or bad). Consumers must decide whether the game (music or anything) is actually "good" because they like it or if they just play/buy it because it is mainsteam and/or in fashion. But of course you can't force them. If you can't convince them then let them enjoy what they enjoy. There's not much you can do. You have to respect their choice. However that's the problem: That it is not their choice. They follow what others do.

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2014, 05:38 PM by BAndrew.)
04-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(04-06-2014, 05:29 PM)BAndrew Wrote: It depends on what you mean by "educate them". I think although it probably won't have any result we should try to help them decide more rationally what they want. Just because many people play COD (just an example) doesn't make it good (or bad). Consumers must decide whether the game (music or anything) is actually "good" because they like it or if they just play/buy it because it is mainsteam and/or in fashion. But of course you can't force them. If you can't convince them then let them enjoy what they enjoy. There's not much you can do.

What I meant by educating them was not by simply veering them towards things you think are superior, whether, or not that is truth. That is incredibly silly (There's probably a better word for this then silly but can't think of one lol)

What I meant was to try to teach them how to better a piece of work. Whether it be in games, or movies, or whatever, a typical consumer when ill-informed can sometimes still have that nagging feeling of liking/disliking something in a product, but not being able to quite put their finger on what it is. This is due to lack of experience. People such as analyzers, reviewers, or just better informed consumers will be able to precisely notice these strengths/flaws in a product, and point them out. They will also be able to have more appreciation for a work when they notice more of these things present...or conversely distaste when they discover negative qualities.

This form of media analyzing is what I think consumers can be taught if they are willing to learn it. This will better allow them to figure out what exactly it is they are looking for in a product, and more firmly believe in their appreciation for it.

Without such a knowledge they may very well be playing something based off of a very wobbly gut feeling which they might realize isn't what they truly wanted at all upon education.

If after such a realization, and being certain what they wanted is what they wanted then I would have no qualms about them going about their way. I am mainly hoping that people do not go forward with a product with mis-conceptions.

I have also been in the past greatly liked some pieces of work only to realize that they were not as good as I thought they were when other people addressed to me the problems that they had...problems that I would not have noticed if they had not pointed them out.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
04-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

I know I'm a bit late to the party, here, so more than likely I won't be saying anything particularly astounding, but for the sake of adding my personal feelings on the subject:

It's fine to like mass-produced, high polished, low grade story telling games. However, to me, video games are an art, and critiquing and thinking critically about their content can make them better than they were in the past. For example, I looooooooooove Amnesia (both TDD and AMFP), but there's still room for improvement. By thinking about what we consume, we can learn and make it better. But not everyone has that kind of investment in the product. For the majority, games are just something they do to kill time. And that's okay. But for me, and so many people here, it's much more. And we're the ones that can help make things better, even though sometimes, to the average consumer, those efforts will go unnoticed.

TL;DR: Consumers gonna consume, but those of us that share the passion can move the industry forward instead of letting it stagnate.

04-07-2014, 02:56 AM
Find