Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED]Help fix my old story, Standards of Hell!
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
Heart  [SOLVED]Help fix my old story, Standards of Hell!

[Image: standardsofhell.png]

For anyone wondering, a long time ago (2012) I was working on a full conversion wherein I wanted to retell the story of Diablo 1 with Amnesia's darkness and stealth mechanics. Here is the modDb page for it. I had a pretty decent groundwork laid out, with an entire intro sequence taking place in the town of Tristram with voice acting and scripting, and a solid 10 minutes of exploration in the first level of the dungeons.

Well, the computer I was making that on died. Absolutely fried. I was able to get everything off of it and onto my new computer, but I never got it working on this one. However, I can open every level in the editor and no error messages pop up, so I know I'm not missing anything crucial. This leads me to believe it's a problem with the config files, especially considering I had the exact same problem (crash on startup) with Bitterwood Peak when I was finalizing that for release. However, that was a while ago, and to be honest, I really hate fucking around with config files.

Reasons why it would be in everyone's interest to help me out getting this fixed:
1) I have improved a lot since 2012 in the mapping and lighting department, and have expanded my mind in terms of imaginative architecture.
2) I had a lot made already, with the help of some other people including the fabulous mapper Hardarm.
3) I had some unique gameplay ideas going on, and had already written one into the game. In Diablo 1, there were occasional tomes that you could find and read. I incorporated these into the mod, and not only do they add immensely to the atmosphere I created and illustrate the story for the player, but they also act as a save point. That's right, I made something that was functionally useless in Diablo 1 have merit! I also made scrolls of identify, with the intention of making them have a purpose.
4) The experience of playing a previously hero-based isometric gothic-themed video game in first person, as you play the part of a drunken fool named Eli who is sent in as a meat shield. You can pick up weapons, but can't actually swing them hard enough to hurt any of the murderous demons that want to slay you. It's a completely different take on an already existing world with heavy satanic imagery and terrifying demons and visuals. Pretty much what I always imagined when I played this game as a kid.

Perhaps someone who knows how to properly set up full conversions (Traggey helped me a lot with BWP) could download what I have and take a look? Romulator fixed it!!

Thank you all for your time, and I sincerely hope that we can figure this out! I don't think a gem like this should be forgotten about. Smile

[Image: signature-2.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014, 09:05 AM by Streetboat.)
04-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Help fix my old story, Standards of Hell!

I'll take a quick look for you Smile See if I can patch up anything not working. Downloading now.

Edit:

Found your problem! You have not added your fonts directory to the resources Smile
Go to SoH/config/ and open resources.cfg and add this to the bottom (before </Resources> of course :3):

<Directory Path="/SoH/fonts" AddSubDirs="true" />

Should work fine now. Had no problems loading the first level. IT MAY give you shit about the resolution seeing as you had used one not native to me, so it came out at 640x480. Once the menu loaded up, changed it to 1024x768 and was fine!

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014, 08:39 AM by Romulator.)
04-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Help fix my old story, Standards of Hell!

WHAT. it was that easy?? oh my god, you're a miracle man! have some miracle whip!!
[Image: miracle-whip-edited.jpg]

so in that case, go ahead and think of this as a demo! What'd ya think? if you want to play the whole thing, just un-comment the first block of lines in the .hps of dungeon_1 (but make sure you leave "TeleportPlayer("PlayerStartArea_3") commented out!), and change the starting level to tristram!

god damn i am so excited to work on this again, thank you again! expect much more from this soon.

[Image: signature-2.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014, 09:04 AM by Streetboat.)
04-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: [SOLVED]Help fix my old story, Standards of Hell!

You're welcome Streetboat Smile
I'll take a look at it for you, let you know of some things via PM Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
04-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Find