Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amnesia Development Dashboard
F7RB26 Offline

Threads: 1
Amnesia Development Dashboard

Hi all,

So I recently saw that there is current a development enhancement tool (Found here) but when I tried to use it I had some issues with its detection system, possibly because I use multiple installations, I'm not sure, but still, I thought I'd task myself with creating my own similar tool for personal use (and for my friend).

This tool (I've called it a Dashboard) is not as advanced as MulleDK19's tool in some aspects, but it does contain other features, such as:
  • Launching the Model Viewer and Material Editor
  • Selecting a default text editor and launch it from the dashboard
  • Locate a custom story folder so you can (currently restricted to) open the root folder of the story
  • Quick links to the editor's online documentation & wiki
  • Can be placed anywhere on your system as you locate your Amnesia installation yourself
  • Finally, the Dashboard will allow you to download the HPL Editor Suite from within the application if you're missing any files (may require you to manually click the 'Check for Files' button).

Now please understand that I have Not created this as a replacement for MulleDK19's tool, his tool looks much more sophisticated than mine, this was more of a task I set out for personal ease-of-use and I would like feedback if nothing else. This dashboard does not have the amazing features such as the cursor improvements or the ability to change editor settings (which is in the list of future features!)

Requirements:
About the Dashboard
The Dashboard is a tool that I designed and developed with ease-of-use and functionality at the forefront of thinking. The Dashboard is an extremely lightweight and portable .exe file with a filesize of under 200kb and memory usage that never exceeded 20MB during internal testing.

[Image: 4Bipnmg.png]

Once you have located your Amnesia installation, it will try and detect the major .exe's from the HPL Editor Suite. If they are there, it'll save the locations to a config file, if not it will ask you if you would like to download the suite yourself or let the Dashboard do that for you. Once the suite is installed correctly, you can launch any of the exes along with the game, you can locate a default text editor and launch that through the dashboard and you can even set a custom story folder for your current project to load instantly!

The Dashboard also has a 'Report a Bug' function that would come in extremely helpful for me as I am trying to improve my programming abilities. Any feedback you may have will be greatly appreciated!

Note:

I will be working on porting the Dashboard over to Linux and Mac OS when I have filtered out some of the minor bugs and I am satisfied with the amount of functionality and the GUI. I will require some Mac and Linux testers to give thorough testing and feedback before I release those versions to the rest of the forums.

View Screenshots

Known Issues:
  • None.

Changelog
22/09/2014 - Version 1.0.5b :
- Added text to show which Text Editor / Custom story is loaded, and whether or not the Amnesia.exe has been found.
- Added a link to MudBill's YouTube account in the Quick Links section.
- Minor bug fixes.

19/09/2014  - Version 1.0.4b version released to the public.

Download: Amnesia Dashboard BETA v1.0.0.5

Download the old Dashboard here:
Download the Dashboard

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to receiving some feedback, good and bad!

"Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope" - Everyone playing Amnesia.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014, 12:33 PM by F7RB26.)
05-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Find
RaideX Offline

Threads: 33
RE: Amnesia Development Dashboard

looks promising.

Will give more feedback once I've got permission to access the file Smile

If you don't draw first, you don't get to draw at all... -The False Shepherd
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014, 03:33 PM by RaideX.)
05-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Find
F7RB26 Offline

Wow, that's probably the silliest mistake I've made during the whole process... It's now been made public so you should be good to go.

Let me know if you run into anymore problems!

"Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope" - Everyone playing Amnesia.
05-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Find
F7RB26 Offline

UPDATE

The old tool is deprecated.

I am currently working on an improved version of the tool with many more features and many changes.

The new features will include, but not be limited to:
  • The ability to set level editor resolution.
  • Improved code for greater efficiency and productivity.
  • Improved error handling.
  • All settings saved within the application, removing the requirement for the .xml file.

I will try and keep the thread up to date.

Thanks for reading!

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014, 10:48 AM by F7RB26.)
08-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

You can already set the level editor resolution in the options for it, but of course, there's no problem having more than one way to do it Tongue
Would probably be simpler anyway.

08-28-2014, 04:59 PM
Find
F7RB26 Offline

Hi, thanks for the reply! I understand you can set the options, but I had endless problems with it resetting unless I set the config to read-only (a bit annoying if I wanted to change screens), so I thought I'd implement the feature Smile

I started making the dashboard to give myself a programming project, and to make my modding life easier, if the community uses it, it's a huge bonus! I'm also open to any suggestions people may have and I may start posting in-progress screenies...

08-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Find
BRITT PENE Offline

Threads: 0

Wow, looks really promising. I'm sure it'll make modding a lot easier. Looking forward to when this is completed!
09-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Find
F7RB26 Offline

(09-03-2014, 03:25 PM)BRITT PENE Wrote: Wow, looks really promising. I'm sure it'll make modding a lot easier. Looking forward to when this is completed!

I'm glad to hear Smile I might start to post some in-progress screenshots soon to help keep the thread updated.

09-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Find
F7RB26 Offline

UPDATE 2

Greetings to all who may read.

I'm just writing this up as another update to give you an idea of how it may be coming along:

Ability to launch HPL editor applications - 100%
Ability to locate and launch your own text editor - 100%
All settings being saved with no external file - 100%
Ability to allow the Dashboard to download the HPL suite - 100%
Ability to locate a custom story folder and launch the root folder - 100%

Ability to launch the level editor with custom resolution settings - 40%
Ability to add multiple custom stories to the Dashboard - 0%

Thanks for reading!

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM by F7RB26.)
09-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Find