Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Script Help Wardrobe Doors
SuavePuppy Offline

Threads: 1
Wardrobe Doors

Would it be at all possible to make a wardrobe's doors fall off of their hinges and fall to the ground when interacted with? I've seen swing doors fall to the ground when interacted with, so how would one go about separating the wardrobes doors into their own entity models and applying that effect?

Thanks in advance
07-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Wardrobe Doors

The process is a bit lengthy but it's very much possible.

You need to open the wardrobe's .dae model in a 3D editor like Maya, then export the main closet model as its own file, as well as the doors in their own file. It should work fine to have both doors in the same model.

Then you need to make 2 different entities, one for the doorless wardrobe and one for the doors. The doorless one can be static. Just apply a collision box and it's done. The doors need one collision box each, assigned to their own submesh, and given a mass. Set the object type to Object > Grab if you wanna be able to pick up the doors separately and throw them around.

07-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Find
SuavePuppy Offline

Oh snap it's Mudbill, I've been watching all of your videos Tongue Thanks again for those and your response. One more thing: When I export my .dae file from Blender and try to import the mesh into the Model Editor, nothing shows up. What am I doing wrong?
07-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

When your saving out your .DAE in Blender. In the left side, their is a Tab "Export COLLADA".

Below it, check "Selection Only" and "Include Material Textures".
07-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Find
SuavePuppy Offline

Do I need to be doing something involving textures and materials when inside Blender? No matter what I've tried, the mesh either doesn't show up in HPL or is just invisible.
07-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

Wait, if you just want the doors to fall when you interact with them, you can just remove the hinges from the model.
Then all you gotta do is set the wardrobe static. When the players touches it, you remove the static state so it drops the doors.

07-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Find
SuavePuppy Offline

Well that worked beautifully, I just set it to a grab object and Bam. Thank you all so much for your help, I imagine I'll be back here soon enough <3
07-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Oh yeah, I guess I was overcomplicating it a bit xP

Forgot that would work the same. Since they're all already submeshes, the can collide with each other and act separately.

I do think the only issue is that if you stand in the closet when you grab the door, you'll fall through the collision box of the closet itself.

07-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

If you want. you can share the idea \ entite?
Be free to upoad it here for the ones who would like to use this feature.
ONLY if you want to share it offcourse.
07-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Find
SuavePuppy Offline

As you can tell I'm relatively new here, how would I share it?
07-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Find