Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Got any odd or somewhat ridiculous phobias?
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Got any odd or somewhat ridiculous phobias?

(07-14-2014, 11:26 PM)Artsyracoon Wrote: I have a phobia of having to talk to someone on the phone. Is that odd? Tongue

Me too - I used to get panic attacks (not in a joking sense - actual "crying-omg-the-world-is-ending-I-can't-breathe" panic attacks) when my phone would ring and I didn't know the caller very well or if I had to make a call... no idea where that came from unless it's another social anxiety thing. So phone call fear seems pretty common.

On the other hand, I'm also terrified of birds (especially scavenger birds and chickens), or anything being close to my ears. That one came from when a young boy locked me in a chicken coop (I was about 6 at the time) with an angry rooster.

OH! One more, not really a phobia but still: arriving at a friend's house for a sleep over and worrying that the party's not today or it's not actually a sleep over and you'll be the only one with pyjamas and a sleeping roll.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2014, 06:17 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
07-21-2014, 06:14 AM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

Threads: 17

(07-20-2014, 11:38 PM)Mechavomit Wrote: I have a severe, yet ridiculous fear of dentists.
I'm gonna be honest, I haven't been to one for at least 8 years. I brush my teeth several times a day, they never hurt, but I know pretty well that that doesn't mean they're healthy. I have occasional nightmares about dentists. The doctors themselves never appear in my dreams, but my teeth get damaged/fall out which means that I have to visit one and that is the point when I wake up in cold sweat.
It's RIDICULOUS! I NEVER had a bad experience with dentists, in fact, all of them were pretty decent. I have no idea where this fear comes from, but it's strong enough to stop me from calling and making an appointment when I want to do it.

While it's an unfounded phobia, it's an understandable one. I, for one, don't care for the idea of someone poking around in my mouth, let alone doing any sort of procedure.

The way you feel about dentists is actually the way I feel about podiatrists. Namely because I had one who was an incompetent moron and didn't know how to properly use a needle.

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
07-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

(07-21-2014, 06:14 AM)Carnivorous Jellybean Wrote: On the other hand, I'm also terrified of birds (especially scavenger birds and chickens), or anything being close to my ears. That one came from when a young boy locked me in a chicken coop (I was about 6 at the time) with an angry rooster.

OH! One more, not really a phobia but still: arriving at a friend's house for a sleep over and worrying that the party's not today or it's not actually a sleep over and you'll be the only one with pyjamas and a sleeping roll.

I had a friend who was terrified of birds. When we went to the Philadelphia Zoo, she nearly ran screaming from a peacock that came up to us. She also refused to go into the tropical bird enclosure with us; rather, she stood outside and commented to me how creepy it was when they came down and started landing on my arm lol.

And that last one sounds a bit like me - I worry a lot about things for no reason. Growing up, I used to imagine totally illogical situations I might get into and then worry about them [like the incredibly unlikely possibility of there being a cobra hiding in the back of the car].

...The only people worthy of consideration are the unusual ones. Common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. - L. Frank Baum
07-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

(07-26-2014, 11:21 PM)Robosprog Wrote: My dentist is an awesome dude, great guy. Never had reason to be afraid. I honestly find it hard to believe any fear is unfounded, and it has it's roots in something, somewhere.
It could be genetic? My father is just as terrified of dentists as I am, but it's understandable for him. I can only imagine what a nightmare it was back then when he was a kid...
The last time I actually had my teeth fixed was in my teens and I was panicking like I was about to be killed. The doctor noticed and asked if I felt any pain, but I was shaking so bad I couldn't answer, so I just started crying right there in the chair :/
07-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I have a phobia of eating most foods.

[Image: luv.gif]
07-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Find
ThatCrazyShaman Offline

(07-27-2014, 07:28 PM)Mechavomit Wrote:
(07-26-2014, 11:21 PM)Robosprog Wrote: My dentist is an awesome dude, great guy. Never had reason to be afraid. I honestly find it hard to believe any fear is unfounded, and it has it's roots in something, somewhere.
It could be genetic? My father is just as terrified of dentists as I am, but it's understandable for him. I can only imagine what a nightmare it was back then when he was a kid...
The last time I actually had my teeth fixed was in my teens and I was panicking like I was about to be killed. The doctor noticed and asked if I felt any pain, but I was shaking so bad I couldn't answer, so I just started crying right there in the chair :/

Hmm, you bring up an excellent question there, Mechavomit. I always wondered just how much about us is passed down from other generations in our family.
For example, I've never met my father, but people who know him tell me he and I are ridiculously alike. We have the same mannerisms, we are interested in the same things [most notably death, nuclear physics, astrophysics, human nature, etc.] and I look like the female version of him. So, it is reasonable to assume that perhaps we do inherit the fear-based instincts of our parents, amongst other things.

08-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Find