Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Worst/ weirdest/ funniest pop culture reference (or easter egg) in a game?
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26
Worst/ weirdest/ funniest pop culture reference (or easter egg) in a game?

ok, what's th weirdest reference to something you've seen i a game, like the crowbar in overture, with "freeman" written on it.
Mine would have to be in falllout 3, at clifftop shacks, a reference to "the hills have eyes" in my opinion.

Whats your craziest/ weirdest/ worst reference? (or easter eggBig GrinSmile

Edit: and the holy hand grenade in fallout 2 Big Grin:

Not an image
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2009, 12:11 AM by ARes88.)
03-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Worst/ weirdest/ funniest pop culture reference (or easter egg) in a game?

The bridge guy in Fallout 2. A reference to Monty Pytons "The Holy Grail".
It's not an easteregg or pop culture reference, but I laughed quite a bit at the sheep you can hire for you "special preferences" at the brothel in Arcanum. Big Grin:

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
03-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

Pacman in Rapture, Bioshock. He's really a cheese with a slice cut out and a few bullet holes in the ground and it's all very hilarious.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
03-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Haha, I never noticed that one! xD

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
03-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

The Thief series also has some pretty entertaining ones :

In the first game (The Dark Project) one of the taverns in a shanty part of the city has a signboard that reads "McDonaugh's". Big Grin:

In the mission Strange Bedfellows (TDP) you can find a prayer book of the Hammerites (the Church of the Thiefverse) which says: "Hadst I a hammer, wouldst I hammer in the morning. Wouldst I hammer in the evening, all over this land." This is a reference to the opening lyrics of the song "If I had a Hammer".

There is a whole heap of references to Lovecraft and his Cthulhu mythos in the Lost City mission in TDP... The ancient and once great race of the amphibian Kurshoks (from the third game) resemble the creatures from the old monster/horror B-movies Creature from the Black Lagoon, Island of the Fishmen or partly Lovecraft's Deep Ones.

Another TDP mission (Song of the Caverns) takes place mainly in the local opera house. References to Andrew Lloyd Weber's musical Phantom of the Opera galore : A lot of the characters from the mission are named after characters from the play (Raoul, Giry, etc.), the guards whistle the main theme of PotO, etc. etc.

Bucketloads of subtle references are made to Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose (especially in the Keeper Compound mission in the third game). If you read the novel carefully, you'll recognise them pretty easily (some are directly transplanted from the book and modified to fit the game's universe).

The anti-hero protagonist Garrett is himself a sort of pastiche of several fictional or legendary characters : Batman, Phil Marlowe, Arséne Lupine, partly Robin Hood. His trick arrows might have drawn inspiration from Green Arrow (and similiar comic book characters).

Several other references can be found here :
http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Easter_Eggs#In-Jokes

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
03-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Also, in The Dark Project at the training mission (if you play on Expert difficulty), you can find a secret Basketball course at one point. Big Grin:

03-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Website Find
Petike Offline

(03-13-2009, 03:18 PM)Scraper Wrote: Also, in The Dark Project at the training mission (if you play on Expert difficulty), you can find a secret Basketball course at one point. Big Grin:

Yes, I heard it was sort of a tradition in LGS to put a hidden basketball course in each of their finished games. And you can find a scroll with the dev quotes in the first two games (one of them being in said basketball course).

(03-12-2009, 07:25 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote: ok, what's th weirdest reference to something you've seen i a game, like the crowbar in overture, with "freeman" written on it.

And the "Uncle Cthulhu's Squid Soup" lable on the cans from Overture. Big Grin:

03-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Quote:Yes, I heard it was sort of a tradition in LGS to put a hidden basketball course in each of their finished games. And you can find a scroll with the dev quotes in the first two games (one of them being in said basketball course).

System Shock 2 also has a basketball court. And it also uses the same engine as Thief 2 Smile
03-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Find
Petike Offline

The training level in SWAT 4 gives you the opportunity of shooting doughnuts out of their neatly packaged box. Tongue: Cool

You can also turn on radios/stereos in the game and even switch on different stations. One or two of the bands playing are pretty obvious parodies of U2 and The Cranberries (or Corrs, if you like). Big Grin:

03-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Find
RockWorm Offline

Threads: 0

You can find dead dr Freeman in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.In his journal that you can loot from him he says that he sold his crowbar to someone to get some food.Haha,I would like to know how did the crowbar ended up in greenland (Penumbra)
06-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Find