Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia

(09-19-2013, 09:05 PM)Traggey Wrote: Nah, don't want to widen the cheeks, whilst she does have a massive head in-game I find her way cuter this way.

would you find a 3d model of dolan cute? Big Grin

plz maek it fr me, iz vry simple

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
09-19-2013, 09:34 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

The chaser - Thanks, I've not made any models from my drawings yet, all the stuff on the site was made before I knew anything about 3D modeling. I'm currently mostly learning 3D. When I come to making a new enemy I'll design it in 2D first though most likely. Since learning some 3D, I've got more of an appreciation for concept design as opposed to illustration at the moment, and it'll be exciting to see if my designs improve with new knowledge Smile
09-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Little update for tonight, reworking the body so there's no detailing there yet. <3

[Image: still_just_a_work_in_progress__by_traggey-d6myebi.jpg]
09-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(09-19-2013, 11:12 PM)Traggey Wrote: Little update for tonight, reworking the body so there's no detailing there yet. <3

[Image: still_just_a_work_in_progress__by_traggey-d6myebi.jpg]

That looks highpoly... may I know your computer specs? I would like to know what computer the typical graphical designer has (CPU, Graphics Card, etc)

My computer gets completely frozen when I have 1.000.000 faces. It can render them, however.

Any concept art you have of her (would be cool to see it if there's any)? Also, what do you think of my monster? :3

(09-19-2013, 10:05 PM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: The chaser - Thanks, I've not made any models from my drawings yet, all the stuff on the site was made before I knew anything about 3D modeling. I'm currently mostly learning 3D. When I come to making a new enemy I'll design it in 2D first though most likely. Since learning some 3D, I've got more of an appreciation for concept design as opposed to illustration at the moment, and it'll be exciting to see if my designs improve with new knowledge Smile

I see, I have watched a tutorial where the guy modelled a human from three images (front, side and back) so you might want to use your 2D techniques to make the characters , they will help you later when modelling Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 06:44 AM by The chaser.)
09-20-2013, 06:42 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Concept for her.

http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/lol.gam...lash_0.jpg

Running w7, a simple i5-4670 3.40GHz

16 gigs of ram.

Nvidia GTX 670

Monster, well yeah it doesn't look very organic, I'd suggest you check out some anatomy tutorials or so and also make sure that you're creating an interesting silhouette before you start putting any amount of work into the details-
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 11:16 AM by Traggey.)
09-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

(09-20-2013, 11:08 AM)Traggey Wrote: Concept for her.

http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/lol.gam...lash_0.jpg

Running w7, a simple i5-4670 3.40GHz

16 gigs of ram.

Nvidia GTX 670

Monster, well yeah it doesn't look very organic, I'd suggest you check out some anatomy tutorials or so and also make sure that you're creating an interesting silhouette before you start putting any amount of work into the details-

Very cool concept, I love it! Yeah, you have printed the kid silhouette very well in the 3D model Smile

"Running w7, a simple i5-4670 3.40GHz"

I'm running in a I3, so I guess that makes a difference... Can You Run it says this about GHz:

You Have: 3.1 GHz Performance Rated at: 6.98 GHz
I don't know what does that mean, but I guess it's okay.

"16 gigs of ram."
I have 4, so I can safely say you can work a LOT better in a 3D program than me... damn :|

"Nvidia GTX 670"

GeForce 210...

The whole computer must've cost you a lot, do you know any place to get good stuff at an echonomical price? It would help me do my stuff Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)

Aculy iz dolan.
09-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

I don't think you need a crazy good computer to do modeling, I have something similar to Traggey, but half the RAM and I never really noticed any problems with speed.

Nice illustration, Traggey!
09-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Lol, that's not Traggey's illustration. That's the splash art for Lulu, from League of Legends. Traggey is just making his own fan-model.

And Chaser, specs are quite important, but it's also the program. Programs like Zbrush (what traggey and most modellers use) and Mudbox are specifically designed for this high poly sculpting. Where some other programs may struggle to read a large amount of polygons in a view, such as Maya. I can barely load a model in Maya 2011 with 50,000+ polygons without getting some frame issues, but in Zbrush, it's like it goes, "lol, what polygon count? there's 2 million in here? Couldn't tell". I wouldn't recommend high poly sculpting in a program not designed specifically for it.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 07:04 PM by Statyk.)
09-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Jonny: Very nice concepts. That will definately help you as you design something Big Grin

The chaser: What Statyk said is pretty much it. Sculpting in blender isn't a good idea :]

As for Ram usage:
http://pixologic.com/zbrush/system/

Other than that I think the CPU handles the rendering in Zbrush. Ram sets the limit for the polygon amount. Dynamesh uses more CPU.

Pricing etc. One could probably buy a pretty decent computer fairly cheap, the cost vs performance for a computer increases drastically as one starts looking at 'the best' parts. Pricing should be fairly equal across internet vendors.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

09-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Like they say Blender isn't the best, but if you have a upper medium build rig. You can dynamic sculpt out to about 1 million polys at about 30fps if you click the optimize button every 30 seconds. :>

Although how people get to 5+ million polygons in Blender sculpting is beyond me (With decent performance). Are their specific hardware geared towards it? Like specific graphics cards or memory just dedicated to that sort of thing? Not the general purpose gaming ones.
09-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Find