Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia

(12-14-2013, 02:10 AM)Rapture Wrote: First try at a hand-painted Texture for a sword.

Nice first try!

Some critique! Here we go.

The edges are not very clear, when dealing with materials such as metal you often get very clear rimlights.

Here's an old one of mine, definately not perfect but it's something to show you what I mean.

[Image: battleaxe__handpainted_texture_practise_...4w8z46.png]

Also when two surfaces are near eachother, the colours usually blend due to bounce lighting, these effects are usually even clearer on metal due to reflections, if you have a peek at the areas around my cloth handle for example, you'll notice that there's a sligh tint of red in there!

Also I see that your texture sticks very much to the models geometry, when working with handpainted textures don't be afraid to paint geometry into the textures themselves.

This video is fairly outdated, or rather his techniques are but this is a previous artist at Blizzard entertainment, tutoring a class in handpainted textures, you might want to take a peek!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013, 02:18 AM by Traggey.)
12-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(12-14-2013, 02:15 AM)Traggey Wrote:
(12-14-2013, 02:10 AM)Rapture Wrote: First try at a hand-painted Texture for a sword.

Nice first try!

Some critique! Here we go.

The edges are not very clear, when dealing with materials such as metal you often get very clear rimlights.

Here's an old one of mine, definately not perfect but it's something to show you what I mean.

[Image: battleaxe__handpainted_texture_practise_...4w8z46.png]

Also when two surfaces are near eachother, the colours usually blend due to bounce lighting, these effects are usually even clearer on metal due to reflections, if you have a peek at the areas around my cloth handle for example, you'll notice that there's a sligh tint of red in there!

Also I see that your texture sticks very much to the models geometry, when working with handpainted textures don't be afraid to paint geometry into the textures themselves.

This video is fairly outdated, or rather his techniques are but this is a previous artist at Blizzard entertainment, tutoring a class in handpainted textures, you might want to take a peek!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM
Thanks, I'm trying to figure out how to blend colors better together.

I'm a little afraid of using brushes as I'm only using the circle brush at the moment, and smudging colors.

I need to practice a lot more on edges and using highlights/shadows to define geometry.
12-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

I actually only use the 1 round hard edges brush, and I don't even use smudge, I use the colour picker tool ( I ) or holding ALT when in brush mode to grab colours in between the ones I'm painting and then blending by painting.
12-14-2013, 03:21 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Oh silly Robo making the viewport bigger that way. Just hit ALT + W whilst the viewport is selected <3
12-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

Traggey, your advice for the eyes did wonders, even though I'm still pretty clumsy with the program.
To celebrate my ability to make ok-ish eyes, I made a floating draenei head. And painted it, what was probably a mistake, because it looks shit...
Spoiler below!
[Image: bZ7SwCC.jpg]

But I discovered that painting over the model is hella fun. You get quick and easy portraits.
Spoiler below!
[Image: 7A0HYrO.jpg]
12-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Criticism for your Draenei...

Your colors on top of his head and tentacles are to light.

Your draenei face look's like a Star Trek's Klingon or Kardashian.

Basically it's to human and it's like someone stuck prosthetics on him instead of making it look like he was born with it. (Especially where the tentacles connect to the face)

Make his face more round and fuller, and I think it's way too defined for your average draenei.
12-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

I have been doing some concept art for ALWAYS HUNTING, here are a few well-known characters I am planning to include:
http://thewalshinator.deviantart.com/art...-420106348
http://thewalshinator.deviantart.com/art/BEN-420106968
http://thewalshinator.deviantart.com/art...-420107585

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
12-16-2013, 05:02 AM
Find
Juras Offline

Threads: 2

Pretty cool drawings, I like the traditional style Smile

Co-Founder & Lead Art Director of Red Line Games
3D & Environment Artist, Animator
http://jurasbatas.deviantart.com
12-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

(12-16-2013, 07:06 AM)Juras Wrote: Pretty cool drawings, I like the traditional style Smile

Thanks, Pen/pencil and paper were always my preference Wink

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
12-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

(12-16-2013, 12:58 AM)Rapture Wrote: Basically it's to human and it's like someone stuck prosthetics on him instead of making it look like he was born with it. (Especially where the tentacles connect to the face)

Make his face more round and fuller, and I think it's way too defined for your average draenei.
But how do I do that? The only thing I learned so far is how to attach a new object to my mesh X) I tired pulling the tentacles straight off the face, but that fucked it up badly. Maybe there is a way to merge the mesh somehow...? That would make life easier.

P.S. Also, any advice on how to make hard-surface stuff? And maybe clothes?
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2013, 09:19 AM by Mechavomit.)
12-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Find