Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Developers' Muse
EnjoyCoke Offline

Threads: 4
Developers' Muse

So. I played Penumbra from the demo. Loved it from the second I picked up my hammer and went dog hunting.

So, I completed it two times, then thought I had been through all aspects of the game.
Great, the second game comes out. I loved it. I completed it stretched over three nights.

Once. I completed the game once. Only ... once!
For the first time in my 'career' as a hard-core gamer ... I only completed the game once. I started up, then shivered by the thought of the infected and swiftly put the game away. I sneak-peak'd at some walkthroughs two times - not because I was stuck - but because I had to know how long I needed to run to get to safety when being chased.

I found the Necronomicon in the Library.

Gentlemen ... That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die.
Ia, ia ... Ph'nglui mglw'nafh C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

EDIT:

Quote:Fiend - A 2D top down view horror game, inspired by the novels written by Howard Phillip Lovecraft.

oh ... Well, it seems that I did not fantasize. I would have liked you guys using a little less HP, though. I mean, leave the Necronomicon out of it ... And that'd be about all to make your game entirely legit.
Now, after reading that, I almost feel like you've stolen Cthulhu.Of course, the story and atmosphere in your games are fantastic, beyond comparison to any other game ever made ... but the back ground was never truly yours.
So next time ... Let's just call it "Rise of Cthulhu, lol ur pwnt!!!111" shall we? Wink
(( Also known as ... When I as a semi-fan of Cthulhu describes the first game to my friends as 'imagine Cthulhu, y'know that sucky game? yeah, imagine that if it wasn't sucky, and you didn'th ave guns ... and it was a shitload more creepy, 'cause you were really, really all alone ....))

I saw Cthulhu in your work. From day one. From the damn demo, even. And perhaps you would like to .... shadow that a little? hide your muse some ... So you can still claim full creativity, no?

BUT REGARDLESS ....! Please bring more >.<
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2009, 06:14 PM by DiNeRo.)
05-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Developers' Muse

Ain't Cthulu set in a tiny port town in the fourties, with the people worshipping some horrible fish-octopus god? What's that got to do with a young physicist going to Greenland searching for his lost father, stumbling upon an underground research facility and encountering inuit spirits? Actually... Penumbra has nothing to do with Cthulu, from what I can tell.
Also, the Cthulu game (Dark Corners of the Earth) got pretty good worldwide response if I remember it right.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
05-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

EnjoyCoke:
Although I agree Penumbra is quite inspired by the works of Lovecraft it is not super obvious like in Fiend, that game is more like a homage to the man. Penumbra takes inspiration from lovecraftian concepts as fear of the Unknown and cosmic horror, but uses no entities from the Cthulhu Mythos. The Necronomicon is just a lil eastern egg, just like the "cthulhu soup" Smile

In any case, glad you liked the games!

Kedjane:
You are thinking of "Shadow over Innsmouth", the story "Call of Cthulhu" takes place on several quite different locations. As a lovecraft nerd I just feel the urge to correct stuff like that...sorry :redface:
05-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Find
EnjoyCoke Offline

Threads: 4

Haha, Thomas ... You're alright Wink
I haven't played Fiend, and honestly I don't think I will any time soon (too busy with exams, wow, and ... BLACK PLAGUE, OMG IT WORKS NOW!!!!)

And for Kedjane:
You should really do yourself a favour and look up on Cthulhu mythos, HP Lovecraft novels (Mountain of Madness *Drooooool* and other Cthulhu stuff.
If you, like I do, enjoy roleplaying (Not Live in the woods, but nerdy in your friend's basement with nothing but a D100 and a Cthulhu Investigator's sheet), you should see if it's possible to aquire a Call of Cthulhu: The Roleplaying Game book from any nerd store.
That was actually what opened my eyes to HPL's work ... And my, I cannot imagine a life without it (slightly exaggerated, confessed).

Thomas, again:
Cthulhu soup? Why have I not stumbled across that yet? Sad

Question; semi off-topic:
Is Requiem in stores, or will I have to purchase it online? Also, after I got new computer, I don't know how to install Episode1, as this was purchased online.
I have the game installed on my old computer, but that one is simply out of reach, more or less.
(Can barely boot, and lags on the bloody Windows desktop)
Can I upload Ep1 to Steam and then download it on my new comp, or will I have to, which I wouldn't mind, buy it in stores/ download it again?
05-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Requiem is only available online except perhaps in some countries like Russia.
05-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

<i>Cthulhu soup? Why have I not stumbled across that yet? Sad</i>
It's one of the variations of the can - difficult to read unless you have texture on high. The cans in Overture on the boat for example were Cs.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
05-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

"Shadow over Innsmouth" have been filmed twice - once as "Dagon" and once as "Cthulhu". Haven´t seen the "Cthulhu" one, but I quite enjoyed "Dagon". The short story is really good too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264508/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478126/
05-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

"Cthulhu" is pretty awful, if you've played "Call of Cthulhu" you could almost predict what happens in the movie." They're both photocopies of Shadow over Insmouth.

Not an image
06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Find