Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Suggestion for Future Let's Play Posts
AGP Offline

Threads: 45
A Suggestion for Future Let's Play Posts

(Foreword: Not sure if this is the appropriate place to be posting this, but seeing as this post relates to the subject of Let's Playing posts, I deduced that this will be all right here. If not, I apologize and politely ask that it be moved to the correct area.)

This hasn't been a huge problem, so I do not wish to exaggerate any sort of seriousness, but I'm sure many of us have noticed quite a few "hit-and-run" posts and threads advertising for Let's Plays: people joining the forums and then creating only one or two posts asking for people to watch their YouTube videos, then disappearing.

Since this doesn't happen enough to be an incredible issue, I do notice that it happens enough to be at the very least annoying.

Therefore, I wanted to make a suggestion to deter from this activity. Well, maybe not deter, but help to sort out those who hit-and-run.

Basically, would it be possible to institute a similar requisite like with the Giveaway thread, putting an agreed required number of posts to advertise your Let's Plays? Now, I'm not regarding this to livestream events directed towards creative development for any projects, just for those who wish to advertise their channels, not pertaining to any sort of mod development.

What do you guys think? Smile

11-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: A Suggestion for Future Let's Play Posts

Personally, I don't see it happening to become similar to the "giveaway" thread. If they want to advertise their Let's Plays, I wouldn't have a problem with it in any way, even if it were for hit and run. It can be enforced using a post count variable check, but then wouldn't that limit those who have no idea what their doing on this forum, have no interest in development, SOMA discussion or perhaps even the Off Topic section?

I could see it potentially leading up to comments of a sentence or two with something like "very nice... i'll use it in my next project." until the post count is reached. Then the LP thread, with (sort of) well constructed text, providing a few links, perhaps updating the post once or twice in future, then "BYEE-BYEE" (Markiplier).

For the minority of those who come here simply wish to put their name out there, advertising their channels or LP's of a game is usually the first step into the world of the LP Internet. You start off small to get anywhere. If they wish to advertise however, I would like to see more than just something like this.

(11-20-2014, 10:08 PM)eliteninja95 Wrote: Hello everybody I have started a Let's play series of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. If you are interested in watching my YouTube channel is in the link provided https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RUCvWMP288 Smile

If you have any questions message me Smile

A wall (if you can call it that) of text which shows little about your channel does not "advertise". If you wish to sell your product to investors, you need to pitch why they should do so. It works similarly. Why must we need to watch a channel? Provide us with an embedded YouTube link, and make your post look pretty.

While that last statement may be somewhat off topic, I don't think a post count is exactly necessary for the LP forum. Begin small to make it big, even if it is a hit and run.

Of course, its up to moderators to give a fuller overview of this, but I just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Smile

[/rant]

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014, 12:07 AM by Romulator.)
11-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

It's funny you use that example, Rom, because that is one of the exact ones I was thinking about. He has two threads each promoting the same thing (whether or not it's the same video I couldn't tell you, but definitely two videos of the same playthrough in two different threads).

And I'm agreed, it's not a sin to advertise yourself, but it's just the fact there are several people who sign up to the forum and drop such a post as the one you mentioned and then fly off into the night.

It's great that people try to reach out and attract a certain audience (it make sense for someone who wants to specialize in custom story oriented videos to want to join the forum and discuss with the people who make them) and actually talk about their channel. This "just watch my videos because their mine and I want views" stuff is just... I don't know. I'd hate to say pathetic, but yeah, it feels kind of pathetic. :/

It would just be good to find a way to promote those who participate and want to be a part of this community than those who say "hey watch my videos because".

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014, 12:39 AM by AGP.)
11-25-2014, 12:38 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

We used to have such rules before the lets play forum was created, things is, noone really goes here other than people spamming their youtube channels, so simply pay it no attention.

The posters will barely get any views if any at all to their channels from here and it keeps the spam of the rest of the forum, which was the original intention of the thread we used way back when.
11-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Find