Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Bosses
Aliennoffe Offline

Threads: 18
Bosses

Do you think this game needs bosses? I think it does, but I don't know what you think. I miss those big hard freaky things from silent hill than i play penumbra. Well, in BP there are some things you maybe could call bosses, and here is a list of them.

1. The giant worm in the machine room.
2. Dr. Emeniss in the computer central.
3. The ghost in the kennels.
4. Amabel in the resarch room.
5. The Superzombie in the examination room.

But I hope those in Unknown will be more and better than them in Penumbra.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
08-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19
RE: Bosses

Well, I do want to see some enemies that you have to defeat by using your wits. Not too many though, it will lessen the horror if you continously face your fears head-on and are victorious every time.
08-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Find
Power_Infinity Offline

Threads: 1

Bosses would detract from the very foundation of what Penumbra/Unknown is about. In Penumbra, you're alone, virtually defenseless, and every single monster is a life threatening challenge. By having a boss, you need weapons which will destroy the aforementioned horror element.
NO bosses please.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2009, 09:52 PM by iliaarpad.)
09-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Wow, I thought already that someone unbanned Aliennoffe. o.O

09-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Website Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

Please don't, this place is so much more pleasant without him.

A supposed boss (which is either entirely non-existent or a chase scene) can always help in dicing the game up from becoming repetitive. Hell, a boss could be dozens of rats coming after you (and foiling your attempts at escape, such as running across a bridge and the rats chewing the ropes off)

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
09-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Find
Power_Infinity Offline

Threads: 1

(09-23-2009, 05:03 AM)WindexGlow Wrote: Please don't, this place is so much more pleasant without him.

A supposed boss (which is either entirely non-existent or a chase scene) can always help in dicing the game up from becoming repetitive. Hell, a boss could be dozens of rats coming after you (and foiling your attempts at escape, such as running across a bridge and the rats chewing the ropes off)

I'm cool with that kind of boss idea. Just not the traditional kind where the player is forced to fight a huge monster with a million health.
09-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

I dunno, I would kinda consider the room...
Spoiler below!
...where you have to electrocute the Rock Worm to get the scientist's hand...
...to be a kind of boss battle. It's probably the only example in the game (at least, the only one I can think of), but if they did something like that, where you need to use your wits to achieve your goal (of survival) then I like the concept of a boss battle.

Like Power_Infinity said though...not the traditional, Metroid-esque boss battle.

...Not that they'd do something like that in a game like Penumbra or Lux Tenebras, but you never know I s'pose.

09-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

I don't need one, but I think it would be OK.
For example some giant demon-thingy in a large room where you have to run around and pull levers, release chandeliers down onto it's head to damage it or something like that - or being chased by some big monster and having to fool it into a door opening and releasing a grate down on it, kind of how you had to fool the first boss in Resident Evil 5 into a furnace and burn it.
Bosses that require wit would be ok.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
09-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Find
AstorSigma Offline

Threads: 0

I like the idea of bosses that require wit, but why not make it like the puzzles in Penumbra. Some of them had more than one solution so I think a boss that can be taken out in multiple ways(all of which require wit) would be a great idea. It would also add some replayability.
11-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Find
zoroztheg4mer Offline

Threads: 2

A boss could work if you have to lure it into some kind of trap and pull a lever to make something hurt him. Not so much of a fight, more of a chase where you have to solve a puzzle. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but i hope you see my point =)

I think that would make it seems like you're defenseless, but it gives a feeling that you're character is heroic and destined to do this.. If you know what i mean =)
11-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Find