Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Expanding the storyline with modifications
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
Expanding the storyline with modifications

While Half-Life 2's story is fucking terrible, there have been many modifications expanding the experience through the eyes of other characters, such as Riot Act. I wonder, as you've said there would be more of an ability to modify Unknown and possibly other games awesome enough to utilize HPL 2, would there hopefully be a story open to interpretation by other characters, such as has been done with the Source Engine? It would be a very nice idea to expand a story with such mods and may make the game generally more popular. I'd love to try my hand at modding it, and I'm sure many other people would.

I found Penumbra to be one of the greatest game series ever made and Black Plague to be quite possibly the greatest game ever made. I just feel so immersed with the storyline. The only problem with the storyline is that you could only follow Philip's.
06-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Website Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Expanding the storyline with modifications

Half Life 2 doesn't have a terrible story. Trashtalking about a game that has 95.44% at Gamerankings, 96% at Metacritic (93% based on 3586 votes), 9.7 at IGN and have gotten 35 GotY awards aint particularly smart, plus the game revolutionized the way video game stories are presented and pushed forward. All games with a story today owe Half Life 2. Why you'd even insult it considering the thread topic doesn't make any sense.
As for Black Plague following anyone else would be pretty hard since they're all dead, so it would either have to be set before everyone dies or be set somewhere Philip never goes.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Half-Life 2 has barely any story other than the basic premise and the constant telling Doctor Freeman of where to go. The characters are flat and do nothing other than remark on your abilities. I'm focusing on how there were mods created to expand the story with other people's adventures. I assume BioShock, F.E.A.R., and Crysis also have good stories, aren't linear at all, and are innovative too, instead of walking around corridors shooting people with abysmal A.I. and using gimmicky superpowers that barely make a difference to the way the game is played. No matter how much reviewers are bribed, some games are just shit.

The reason I brought up Half-Life 2, I was wondering if there would be some sort of story with other characters in Unknown that people could expand upon with mods, such as has been done with Half-Life 2. I'm not talking about anything happening exactly at the same time as player's adventures, but maybe a story that also tells of the adventures before player. Such a deep level of story was done in Penumbra but everybody died trying to hide and not progressing much. I'm asking if Unknown will have the opportunity to expand upon the history of the game with the tales of other adventurers.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2009, 10:20 PM by skyking22141.)
06-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Website Find
Aliennoffe Offline

Threads: 18

I agree that Penumbra are the greatest games ever made, at least it's MUCH better than any ather game I've ever played. Counter strike and Resident evil don't have chance aginist it!

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
06-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Find
Razalhague Offline

Threads: 1

Honestly Lee, either you played through HL2 with your head stuck up you ass, or you're one of those people who need the story to be hammered through their thick skull in order to notice it. Sure, HL2 is extremely linear, but that has nothing to do with it having a story.
06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Website Find
Aliennoffe Offline

Threads: 18

But you can still make stories in HPL2!

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
06-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

No need to offend each other. I didn't get the thing with HL2 either, but that doesn't make it a bad game, I enjoyed it pretty much, but it was nothing special really, at least not for me.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(06-19-2009, 10:19 PM)Lee Wrote: Half-Life 2 has barely any story other than the basic premise and the constant telling Doctor Freeman of where to go. The characters are flat and do nothing other than remark on your abilities.

Half Life 2 has a whole lot of story, though there is noone there telling it to you. You are experiencing the whole story through the Freeman's own eyes so how well you catch the plot simply depends on how well you are able to percieve what's happening around you, rather than having a storyteller explaining to you what's going on through lengthy dialouge.
Half Life 2 is a rather long game, so the story progresses slowly compared to the Episodes (which have increasing focus on the plot, as afterall the very next game will end the series), but the story is there and simply by looking at the details of everything you see in Half Life 2 (excluding the Episodes) you can find out a whole lot about the universe.
The "cutscene" parts are also quite well-made and what made Half Life 2 groundbreaking is the way characters can show their thoughts through facial expressions and body laungage. It's a whole lot different than the first game, where the characters pretty much opened their mouths wide open (not a single other part of their face changing) and started running around in circles to show they were "afraid". The character Alyx won some sort of price for "most believeable videogame character" or something alike.

(06-19-2009, 10:19 PM)Lee Wrote: I assume BioShock, F.E.A.R., and Crysis also have good stories, aren't linear at all, and are innovative too, instead of walking around corridors shooting people with abysmal A.I. and using gimmicky superpowers that barely make a difference to the way the game is played. No matter how much reviewers are bribed, some games are just shit.

Can't really tell what you're trying to say where, but are you saying Bioshock, FEAR and Crysis have bad stories, are linear, uninnovative and that you walk around corridors shooting people with abysmal AI using gimmicky superpowers that barely make a difference to the way the game is played?

On-topic: Too bad we haven't heard anything about when Unknown will be released yet. Waiting for that editor and modding with it will probably be smarter than attempting to expand the story right now.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
06-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Find