Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alien Isolation or SOMA?
LATERnotNOW Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Alien Isolation or SOMA?

(12-21-2014, 01:02 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I played none of them, but I'm absolutely sure that SOMA will be the best because it's from Frictional Games.Tongue
Do you have played the Penumbra and Amnesia games? Then you will understand the high expectations and that everything from Frictional Games is a masterpiece of design.

I won't say Alien Isolation is bad, but it seems to be more action/mainstream oriented and less story.

I have played both Amnesia games and they are fantastic! I will most probably even buy Alien: Isolation to try it out as well. I have heard online that it has some problems in it, some of them is that it is too hard like you keep dying easily and even before the save so you would have to repeat everything which is frustrating (Like the DLC of outlast) That does not necessarily mean the game is bad (Not saying you said it is bad) but still it does get frustrating every now and then. Also it takes ages for the Alien to appear (Like around 2.5-3 hours of gameplay) which does bore the player in my opinion. Every game has its own problems. In my opinion Amnesia: TDD had no problem but Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs was probably a little short and needed more scary parts (again this is just me) but still they're really good and the story is excellent. SOMA in my opinion might be a little spookier with a better story, so yeah I am expecting SOMA to be better as well. I just hope that it is a new unique experience that does not seem like Amnesia or Penumbra where it contains its own atmosphere that gives you the chills. I also hope it is not predictable like some parts of Amnesia AMFP. Can't wait to get that game!

(12-21-2014, 05:57 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: I think Creative Assembly did a good job on Alien Isolation as their first attempt at survival horror, it's not perfect but for a first it's quite impressive. Besides, we have not had a GOOD Alien game in a while aside from AvP 2010 which wasn't bad, and Aliens: Colonial Marines which was a piece of shit scam.

Now for SOMA, I can't judge because it's not out yet. However, with Frictional Games' current reputation with their games I can trust them for delivering yet another (hopefully) good survival horror to scare us again.

Yup that is true! I just hope that Frictional Games does not want to only scare us and that is it. For me in my opinion, they should distribute story, gameplay, jumpscares and chase scenes to make the game perfect. (Like Amnesia The dark descent) though in Amnesia a machine for pigs they mainly concentrated on the story and lacked a little bit of horror in it (Don't get me wrong machine for pigs was good but not as scary as dark descent) An example of a famous horror game that in my opinion was not as good was Outlast, or the DLC of it to be exact. The story of outlast the original game was perfect, with its own little scares it made that game as epic as Amnesia the dark descent. The DLC of outlast however kind of made it a little worse. It was technically the same thing with a minor change but with more chase scenes that just got frustrating eventually. That thing where they try to scare us to the extent it sucks is a no-no. Just because it is 'scary' that does not mean it is necessarily good. I hope Frictional Games realizes that and does not follow what the DLC of outlast has made or even Alien Isolation. I just hope that SOMA is not a sci-fi version of Amnesia. I have my faith in you Frictional Games!

(12-21-2014, 08:02 PM)Romulator Wrote: Would rather play SOMA knowing I would not play AI. Didn't know the game existed until a few people posted here about it, so I really just ended up watching Markiplier play it.

And what did you think of it?
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014, 05:38 PM by LATERnotNOW.)
12-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Find
213 Offline

Threads: 0

jump scares=total fail
06-04-2015, 05:09 AM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(12-22-2014, 05:28 PM)LATERnotNOW Wrote: . I just hope that SOMA is not a sci-fi version of Amnesia.

No way it would be like that. Amnesia didn't even deal with consciousness and subjects like that. I think they tried to create in SOMA something balanced between ATDD and Machine for Pigs. Spooks and good atmosphere from The dark descent and good physiological horror and lore from Machine for pigs. I'm not saying it'll be like that, but I think this is the direction for the game. Every one of the game has its unique features and aspects.
06-04-2015, 01:59 PM
Find