Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Justine big mistake
Diz Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Justine big mistake

Heya! As a recent fan of the horror genre, I would like to give my input on the matter.

I am unsure whether you mean the story as in puzzles and text or the entire DLC in itself. Regarding text and puzzles, I agree with you that the story, along with some puzzles, initially felt a little too much to me. I have always been bad with puzzles, and English is far from my native language, though I guess it is understandable for a DLC to be a little tougher in many aspects. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels), anyone? xD But yes, I struggled, and I had to look up the solution to some puzzles in the DLC.

In my opinion, Amnesia: Justine works really well with no save option. As others have pointed out, it enhances the horror experience for many players, me included, and while one could argue that it feels more like a game when you have to focus on not losing health points, I would argue that dying in the game is now something you actually have to fear, because it feels similar to real-life in that death is unknown/final.

Knowing that you can simply respawn in the near with no absolute repercussion on your progress may often take away the fear of dying in the game, especially once you are used to how Amnesia works and feels, which should naturally be the case after playing through Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I agree that on one hand it may seem harsh, but at the same time, the DLC is short enough not to punish the player dramatically on their progress, it will not take long at all for you to get to where you were, especially now that you would know how to reach back to the point where you died in the game. The game is so short that I do not think it would gain much benefit from a save option.

My final input, which I was unsure whether or not to include, is that most games used to be this way in the early days, and they also used to be way, way more challenging to complete. So that is definitely something to think about. =)

The first time I played through Justine, I felt a permadeath feature was a little awkward. However, I realized it made things more interesting to me. It did something to my immersion. While I am not usually a fan of permadeath, in this DLC I found it to be suitable.

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2015, 04:46 PM by Diz.)
01-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Find