Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Point of making a CS ?
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22
Point of making a CS ?

So basically I've been wondering if there's still sense in making CS. I mean, is there a big amount of people who play them ? Feedback n' stuff ? (I'm looking especially at people who already have a few stories on ModdB)

As, hopefully, a few may have noticed, I haven't been active on the forum for a longer time. Same thing goes with my Amnesia work, unfortunately. At this tempo of doing things, my story is gonna be released in loooong time***. And the game itself is about 5 yrs old (am I write?), so I'm just having doubts whether the outcome of my hard work will be even noticed.

Spoiler below!
***that thing is gonna go out eventually. I already put too much work into that shit to just leave it in my closet ! Big Grin

01-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Point of making a CS ?

SOMA, the upcoming game to be released, does have Custom Story support. With that said, I don't know how popular it will be. It's not an "Amnesia" title per se. But I can see Let's Players trying it out and advertising the game to get it going. Whether the audience realizes that CS support is there or not may ror may not change the publicity of which your CS will receive, and whether you can create given the assets which are provided.

You can develop your CS and also not be sure whether it will be compatible with SOMA.

I am slowly working on a few maps in the possibility I can release it after SOMA is released if I choose to.

Understand as well that while Amnesia may not be as popular as what it was say, three years ago, people do sometimes still come back and play either Custom Stories or the main game itself. You go to the Tech Support forum here and you'll realize that while people are having problems, it can be treated as an indicator as to how many people still buy or play the game.

If you want to make or continue creating a CS, go for it from my perspective. Even if SOMA is released, there are still people here who will play it, regardless of popularity or SOMA's release. Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015, 11:34 PM by Romulator.)
01-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

@romulator Well, I wasn't particularly looking at SOMA, but I get your point. I think you have some CS's out (correct?), do they still get reviews ?

01-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

No, I have never released a Custom Story. I'm more of a development supporter rather than a standalone CS maker - I rather help others make a story either through script corrections, somewhat basic map design or grammar assistance. Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015, 01:29 AM by Romulator.)
01-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

SOMA will most likely be more popular due to technical advancements from HPL2 to HPL3.

If they add in a more robust scripting language, like... GetPlayerRotation/Scale and GetEntityRotation/Scale, and Keybindings. I'll never look again at Amnesia.
01-18-2015, 01:41 AM
Find
MrBehemoth Offline

Threads: 19

People still play CS/FCs - just pick a mod on ModDb and watch the download count go up. My last one (an FC) is less than a year old and has had over 10k downloads. 1,224 of those were in the last 3 months, and 2 were in the last hour. We're not talking millions, but it's not the most popular mod by a long shot so there is definitely still an audience out there.

And whilst a lot of people will move over to SOMA when the time comes, there will still be a core of people playing and modding Amnesia. Just look at the mod scenes for the original Doom or Half-Life. It may even turn out to be easy to port HPL2 mods over to HPL3, you never know.

Go for it! Smile

01-18-2015, 02:54 AM
Find
dailycreepypasta Offline

Threads: 18

I think the point of most mods is either to take the story of the original game and change it into their imagination and to see how far that you can push on the boundaries of Amnesia: TDD to make it seem original/ completely change the entire game.

Creator of "The Night I Went Insane".

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-night-i-went-insane
02-16-2015, 06:10 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Nah, most mods don't involve the original story whatsoever. Hm, okay I shouldn't say most don't as I don't have any proof of that. I know a lot of them do incorporate it in some ways, but from what I've seen, the majority of mods like to start fresh with their own stories.

02-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Find
PythonBlue Offline

Threads: 13

I've considered making a custom story completely on my own, but unfortunately, the concern about how old Amnesia is now is one of my reasons holding me back, as well as the laborious task of needing to constantly reinstall the editors for HPL2 to keep them from crashing, speaking as a Mac user. On the other hand, as much as I'm looking forward to HPL3, my guess is that its new features will result in it being more difficult for inexperienced modders like myself to work with, at least if one wants to make something that's adequate quality.

Maybe it's just that I make my standards too high: I don't deny that I have a lot of work to do in the way of mapping ability over scripting.

03-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Find