Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Lex Mortis (open world horror)
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Lex Mortis (open world horror)

Looks great, a bit like "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter".
I just hope the horror is not just about enemies/monsters etc.

02-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Lex Mortis (open world horror)

Been watching some gameplay of this, it's horrible, the voice acting is a giant mess to the point where it's hard to even understand the main character at times, the game consists of walking around and backtracking to super boring locations and dodging enemies as they walk around in pre-defined patterns and ontop of that we are dealing with a horribly cliché ''IT WAS THE ALIENS'' storyline.

I would also like to add that most of the graphical assets, mainly the outside stuff is just taken from the CryEngine example content, such as all the forrest stuff, the roads and ground textures, nothing there is made by the developer of this game. The open world aspect SOUNDS good, but fact is that there's no reason to do it, you can not advance the story in any way by exploring and the only stuff you'll find by doing so are notes from the people who used to live on the island, that's litteraly it.

Horror fans, stay away from this one.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2015, 04:35 PM by Traggey.)
02-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(02-12-2015, 04:31 PM)Traggey Wrote: Been watching some gameplay of this, it's horrible, the voice acting is a giant mess to the point where it's hard to even understand the main character at times, ...

Voice acting is highly important, but not everything. There are some brillant games with bad voice acting. Even the original language.

(02-12-2015, 04:31 PM)Traggey Wrote: the game consists of walking around and backtracking to super boring locations and dodging enemies as they walk around in pre-defined patterns and ontop of that we are dealing with a horribly cliché ''IT WAS THE ALIENS'' storyline.

Walking around is the goal of an open world game. Skyrim doesn't do it much better. The locations are pretty nice and the "enemies" in Amnesia also walked around pre-defined patterns. OK, the story seems to be bad. But again, Skyrim doesn't do it much better here too.

(02-12-2015, 04:31 PM)Traggey Wrote: I would also like to add that most of the graphical assets, mainly the outside stuff is just taken from the CryEngine example content, such as all the forrest stuff, the roads and ground textures, nothing there is made by the developer of this game.

It absolutely doesn't matter from where the things are taken.

(02-12-2015, 04:31 PM)Traggey Wrote: The open world aspect SOUNDS good, but fact is that there's no reason to do it, you can not advance the story in any way by exploring and the only stuff you'll find by doing so are notes from the people who used to live on the island, that's litteraly it.

Horror fans, stay away from this one.

It is probably not going to be a horror game primarly. Rather it is more like a survival adventure with explorations and horror.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2015, 09:40 PM by Googolplex.)
02-12-2015, 04:54 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

RIght, I agree that voice acting is not everything, nor did I claim so, I merely stated the voice acting in this title is bad, and that's a big negative for me.

As for the walking around, skyrim manages to make it interesting, you discover cool stuff as you go along, in this game there is litteraly a mission where you start by a boat, walk to a house, walk back to the boat and then WALK BACK TO THE SAME damned house again because you forgot fuel. ( The first 40 minutes of this game involves finding about 5 different keys to open doors )

The enemies in amnesia DID walk around pre-defined paths absolutely, however when they found you, they would chase you, in the case of this game it is an instant kill, if they see you, you are dead right away, the monsters never leave the path, they could just as easily be replaced by security cameras because that is basicly the function they serve.

The point of the developers using assets that they have not created is that it shows a serious lack of effort, which is something this entire game scream of, for example there is alot of ''key hunting'' that happens in this game, these key models you can tell are made by the developer because they are giant blocks larger than your own forearm that barely represents a key. Also they brag about how ''good'' the game looks in the trailer, when all they show is content they have not made themselves.

The game features no survival aspects other than the dodging of monsters, exploration and horror is all this game has got going, and the exploration is as already mentioned extremely boring as there is nothing to find but notes.
And the ''horror'' is nothing but BLOOGEYWOOGEY WOO jump scares, aliens running past doors infront of you, pictures screaming in your face, that old stuff.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2015, 05:18 PM by Traggey.)
02-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Hmm... okay. Seems that the trailer looks better than the true game. I added it to my list, but will read a bit more reviews of it.
02-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Find