Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Variables in credits
Rahmerh Offline

Threads: 7
Variables in credits

Hey!
I'm still far from done with my custom story, but I was wondering about doing something fun with the credits. I was thinking about having some easter eggs/collectibles in the game. Would it be possible to have something like this in the credits:

"Potatoes found: 3/5"

And if they find 4, it'd be "4/5".
I know the credits are in the extra_english.lang, so you probably can't reach it, I was just wondering if there's a trick for it.

Also, a question about something else.
I want to have some violin music from the 1800s in my custom story. Can I just download the music and put it in? I don't think I have to credit the author, since he's been dead for 200 years... Can I just use it?
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015, 09:35 AM by Rahmerh.)
07-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Variables in credits

(07-09-2015, 09:25 AM)Rahmerh Wrote: Hey!
I'm still far from done with my custom story, but I was wondering about doing something fun with the credits. I was thinking about having some easter eggs/collectibles in the game. Would it be possible to have something like this in the credits:

"Potatoes found: 3/5"

And if they find 4, it'd be "4/5".
I know the credits are in the extra_english.lang, so you probably can't reach it, I was just wondering if there's a trick for it.
Yeah, unfortunately because it's in the extra_english.lang file, you can't edit that since whatever is written in there is predetermined and more or less "read only".

But you might be able to get around it, say, doing something with global variables. I don't work with them, so I can't tell you how to set them up if there's a special way to do so, but I could see this working:

PHP Code: (Select All)
void BeginCredits(string &in asParentstring &in asChildint alState)
{
StartCredits("credit_music.ogg"true"Ending""Credits_"+GetGlobalVarInt("potato_count"), 3);

Looking at StartCredits:
StartCredits(string& asMusic, bool abLoopMusic, string& asTextCat, string& asTextEntry, int alEndNum);

asMusic - the music to play (including .ogg)
abLoopMusic - determines whether the music should loop
asTextCat - the category to be used in the .lang file
asTextEntry - the entry in the .lang file
alEndNum - Amnesia has 3 different endings and displays a code at the bottom. Determines which code is displayed. 0-2 will display codes, any other integer will not.

You can see that if you copy pasted your credits a few times over, you could probably make a few Credits entries with the Entry Name being Credits_0 (don't forget this one), Credits_1, Credits_2, etc, making your changes.

With the Global Variable, using the +GetGlobalVarInt("potato_count"), you would simply need to keep track of how many potatoes the character has picked up. I don't know how specifically to set up global.hps, but you would set "potato_count" to be 0, and each time a potato is picked up, you would add one to the global variable.

Keep in mind, I have never tested this, but I could see it working :o

Quote:Also, a question about something else.
I want to have some violin music from the 1800s in my custom story. Can I just download the music and put it in? I don't think I have to credit the author, since he's been dead for 200 years... Can I just use it?

General Copyright Law states that you cannot use someone's intellectual property, that is, something someone has created or owns fully, if they are still alive. Furthermore, you cannot use their work until 100 years past their death date.

Since you stated that the music was from the 1800s, as long as the artist died sometime before 1915, I believe you should be okay to use it. However, be sure to observe any copyright laws present in your country as they may require you to credit the source of any work which you may have not made yourself.

Keep in mind that while it should be okay to use, Let's Player's on YouTube which may potentially record their experiences with your Custom Story may run into issues when using such work. While they're responsible for addressing it, if complaints become heavy, re-releasing the story with the song removed may be required.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015, 10:18 AM by Romulator.)
07-09-2015, 10:17 AM
Find
Rahmerh Offline

Thank you very much! That's going to help tremendously! I was thinking about having several easter eggs, but that would probably require 100+ credits entries Tongue

Also thank you for the copyright stuff! So you're saying that if I credit the author in my credits, it should be enough? Even for people who might cover my cs? I'll probably have a link for a copyright-free version
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015, 10:27 AM by Rahmerh.)
07-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(07-09-2015, 10:24 AM)Rahmerh Wrote: Also thank you for the copyright stuff! So you're saying that if I credit the author in my credits, it should be enough? Even for people might cover my cs?

It should be okay~ It may differ depending on certain circumstances, but general copyright law is 'creation -> owner's passing -> 100 years post death".

If you have any doubts whatsoever, don't use it Smile It's better to avoid hitting copyright dilemmas than tackling them if you're not too sure. If you want to use other people's works while crediting them, be sure to google "Creative Commons music" or something along those lines. Sometimes you can find some amazing things so long as you follow the terms they state Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
07-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

You can use classical music without worries. But bear in mind to avoid using copyrighted stuff, it might bring problems to potential let's players, like Rom said. You can either use vanilla game's music (you are also allowed to use music from Penumbra's and Machine for Pigs), use royalty free music or ask someone to compose some tunes for you. But yeah, you can use classical music in any way you want to.
07-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Find
Rahmerh Offline

Alright, thank you for your help! I'll probably use it and just credit it.. I just love this composer and his music, and I'd like to have it in my story Smile
Thank you again!
07-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

An idea for your easter egg statuses:

You can display them separately from your credits using "fake credits" that are just moving images that slide across the screen. Using those you can do whatever you want.

07-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Find
Rahmerh Offline

(07-09-2015, 12:40 PM)Mudbill Wrote: An idea for your easter egg statuses:

You can display them separately from your credits using "fake credits" that are just moving images that slide across the screen. Using those you can do whatever you want.

Oh that's smart! I'll try both out when I get there, thanks!
07-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Find