Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Model Scaling Issue
timCopwell Offline

Threads: 2
Question  Model Scaling Issue

I should begin by saying that I just started on 3d modeling. And this is my second attempt of importing custom mesh into amnesia after basic cube...

With cube I just tried to see if everything works fine, by following some youtube guide. And it did, so I went further.

After some time I finally managed to create a mesh I wanted, and here's what it looks like in Blender:

[Image: blender.jpg]

But after exporting it, and trying to open in ModelViewer this is what I've got:
(Don't worry about textures, the main problem for now is shape)

[Image: editor.jpg]

And in level editor as StaticMesh:

[Image: level.jpg]

What's the problem?
08-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Model Scaling Issue

Try deleting the .msh file that is generated when you open it with the ModelViewer. After that, open it again in the ModelViewer.

08-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

For one, in the "Properties" view in Blender. (You can see it to the right of your model in your picture)

Under "Location", "Rotation", "Scale...

Location & Rotation should be all 0.

While Scale is set to 1.

While your model is selected in "Object Mode". Do "Ctrl + A", and select "Location".

Repeat this step for "Rotation" and "Scale"

//*********************
Also...

In your picture, your model has that Orange Dot near the top.

It should be at the 0,0,0 space of Blender, because this is the pivot point for your model. (You can manually place it where-ever you want the model to rotate on if you wish) To fix this...

Select your model, and click "Shift + C" to center your 3D Cursor back to center. (Don't left-click anywhere or it will shift it around)

While your model is still selected, do "Ctrl + Shift + Alt + C" and select the third option "Origin to 3D Cursor".
//*********************

Try exporting it again and your problem should be fixed.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015, 05:35 PM by Rapture.)
08-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Find
timCopwell Offline

Well, I accidently deleted the .blend file while trying to solve the problem, but before it happened I managed to try Mudbills advice, but it didn't work :S
...but thanks, anyway you helped me with all your vids Wink

Then I quickly re-created this mesh, and tried to fix everything Rapture has mentioned, and it did work! Nice!

[Image: texture.jpg]

But well, now I have another problem with texturing this thing. Now when I try to put texture over the mesh, ground part does not want to get covered. If you could help with this either, it would be great :S

I don't want to align it properly, because I've seen guides and this is too difficult for me right now, I just want it to be fully visible in game.
08-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Chances are your normals are flipped.

In Blender, in the "Properties Tab", scroll down to "Shading" and check "Backface Culling".

If you see the "ground part" disappear, then it will be showing on the other side. (Normally only one side of a model's UV are shown)

So while the object is selected, go to "Edit Mode", select the faces that you want to flip their normals. Click "w" and select the "Flip Normals" option.

//*******************
If your also talking about why in Blender, the model still shows up in Pink...

Q1: Did you unwrap it?

A1: Unwrap it
//***
Q2: Is the ground a separate object from the door? If you move the door around, does the ground move with it? Or do you have to select both or one at a time?

A2: You can select both objects and click "Ctrl + J" to join the objects so they are one mesh. You can now properly unwrap both of them.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015, 06:36 PM by Rapture.)
08-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Find
timCopwell Offline

(08-06-2015, 06:29 PM)Rapture Wrote: Chances are your normals are flipped.

In Blender, in the "Properties Tab", scroll down to "Shading" and check "Backface Culling".

If you see the "ground part" disappear, then it will be showing on the other side. (Normally only one side of a model's UV are shown)

So while the object is selected, go to "Edit Mode", select the faces that you want to flip their normals. Click "w" and select the "Flip Normals" option.

//*******************
If your also talking about why in Blender, the model still shows up in Pink...

Q1: Did you unwrap it?

A1: Unwrap it
//***
Q2: Is the ground a separate object from the door? If you move the door around, does the ground move with it? Or do you have to select both or one at a time?

A2: You can select both objects and click "Ctrl + J" to join the objects so they are one mesh. You can now properly unwrap both of them.

As far as I understood, all normals were flipped the right way. Whole mesh is a single object, since it can't be imported to amnesia other way. And unwrapping didn't help also if it could... :S

I used this strange paint tool to mark all faces on unwrap, and the only space which wasn't marked was supposed to be this "ground part". This seemed to me strange and I decided to delete and create a new ground part and now whole mesh is covered perfectly.

I think I just clicked random option, did not notice it and created corrupted mesh. Yet I don't know what was the problem and the whole process of texturing still seems confusing to me. Anyway, thanks to you, Raptor. You helped me well, glad to see that amnesia community is still alive after all these years Wink
08-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Find