Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLOODY FOG I HATE YOU
Reminiscity Offline

Threads: 16
BLOODY FOG I HATE YOU

Hello fine members of the forum!

As you might have guessed from the title the fog areas are driving me insane and have been doing so for years. Some of my levels have been in my mod for well over a year and I've changed the fog settings numerous times. After every change I feel content with the results but then after looking closer I see those bloody layers! I realise that the fog areas in hpl2 aren't very advanced hence I don't expect it to look seamless but come on... those layers are so visible.

My question to you is: what settings to you usually go for? Do you have any tips on making the layers look less visible?

And one last question: Is it normal that the fog in the editor looks different from what I see in game?

My mod Amadeus
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2015, 09:45 AM by Reminiscity.)
08-24-2015, 08:55 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: BLOODY FOG I HATE YOU

Layers? You talking about the fog particles?

08-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(08-24-2015, 09:23 PM)Mugbill Wrote: Layers? You talking about the fog particles?

I think what he means it that when looking through 2 fog areas you can clearly see that there are 2, because the colors multiply, or something like that...

My only solution would be, try to simplify the level, so that the player will only be able to see 1 fog area at a time.

Trying is the first step to success.
08-24-2015, 10:21 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Yeah, try to use global fog if possible. But otherwise, yes, the fog mechanics aren't very great so make what you can out of it.

08-25-2015, 12:20 AM
Find
Reminiscity Offline

Threads: 16

Sorry I should have been more clear. I'm not talking about particle effects but the fog areas. I'm also not talking about 2 fog areas but 1 single fog area spanning across the level. From what I can tell the fog areas produce multiple transparent layers that moves as the player moves around to produce the fog effect. It is those layers that I want to minimize the visiblity of.

But in short I want tips on how to make good ambient fog whether it's with global fog or a fog area spanning across the map.

My mod Amadeus
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2015, 07:35 AM by Reminiscity.)
08-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(08-25-2015, 07:34 AM)Reminiscity Wrote: Sorry I should have been more clear. I'm not talking about particle effects but the fog areas. I'm also not talking about 2 fog areas but 1 single fog area spanning across the level. From what I can tell the fog areas produce multiple transparent layers that moves as the player moves around to produce the fog effect. It is those layers that I want to minimize the visiblity of.

But in short I want tips on how to make good ambient fog whether it's with global fog or a fog area spanning across the map.

I think most of it is about what color you choose.
Afterwards, just play with Start and End.

What kind of fog do you want? Close? Far away? Thick? Thin?

Trying is the first step to success.
08-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Find