Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia HPL3 update
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Amnesia HPL3 update

Hi,

actually I red that "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" got an engine update to UE4. And there are some other games in history that got engine updates. And Frictional Games mentioned that they will think about porting Amnesia to consoles when they have some time after SOMA. So what about a whole update 2.0 for the game and all platforms? OK there are some features of HPL3 that Amnesia won't use or that doesn't make sense and the game is already running very fine in its current state, but maybe they have to enhance or tweak something for the console release and then there could be an update for all platforms.

What do you think?
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015, 08:15 PM by Googolplex.)
09-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
RE: Amnesia HPL3 update

I would rather have the game stay in HPL2. If it was upgraded all the work on HPL2 will be even more over-shadowed by HPL3 than it is now. Pardon my terrible analogies but lets take COD as example:

You know how in a new COD that, unless the game was really good, becomes a ghost-town after they finish releasing DLC for it? It will sorta have that effect, except replace ghost-town with only hardcore fans will ever go back to it...

"Like why use the old engine if there's a new engine but better?"
09-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Upgrading to HPL3 is a very risky move, it could potentially break alot of stuff and would simply take a ton of time. It's not worth it.
09-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

I wouldn't mind an upgrade of A Machine for Pigs to HPL3, since it seems like they wanted to do more with the game and engine by adding more machinery and moving parts than they eventually were able to, so parts of the Pigline were cut from the game that couldn't be realized.

Then again, I wouldn't mind if Frictional themselves gave a "Frictional's Cut" of Machine for Pigs version with them going in and reworking some parts to add more gameplay or elements and how they would have imagined things.

Of course, that'll never happen, but it'd be nice.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015, 11:12 PM by PathOS.)
09-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

(09-13-2015, 11:11 PM)PathOS Wrote: I wouldn't mind an upgrade of A Machine for Pigs to HPL3, since it seems like they wanted to do more with the game and engine by adding more machinery and moving parts than they eventually were able to, so parts of the Pigline were cut from the game that couldn't be realized.

I would prefer SOMA DLC expansion or new IP. Maybe Chinesse room could do that with amfp and HPL3. And maybe some other studio could colaborate on new SOMA game with storyline in,for example, Pathos-I/III.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015, 07:33 PM by Radiance.)
09-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that an "unofficial" upgrade would be undertaken as a mod project. I mean, if people spend their free time porting old GTA and Elder Scrolls titles to the latest engines used by their sequels, updating Amnesia to HPL3 would be - comparatively speaking - a walk in the park.

That said, there is talk of a PS4 port of Amnesia. If this happens, it will most likely be on the HPL3 engine (HPL3 is specifically designed to support consoles whereas HPL2 isn't, at least this is my understanding of it). And if that happens, maybe a PC upgrade wouldn't be out of the question.

09-14-2015, 01:26 AM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

Well, it all depends on several factors.

Firstly what does Frictional want to do after SOMA?

Secondly is how well SOMA is received critically and especially commercially.

If SOMA is a huge success then it's likely that Frictional will be more inclined to give a lot of post-launch support to it themselves, most likely an XBox One port first, and then maybe even VR, in addition to of course the usual patches and tuning.

If SOMA is a big success on console, then I'd imagine Frictional would be more inclined to try to port the Amnesia's to console as well.

And if they do port the Amnesias and have to use HPL3, then I would guess that they wouldn't be simply content to try to match the HPL2 version 1-1, since HPL3 offers a lot of visual boosts. So if those are undertaken then I would guess there'd be a PC Upgrade version as well (as like the Vanishing of Ethan Carter)
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015, 07:22 PM by PathOS.)
09-14-2015, 07:20 PM
Find
Jun Offline

Threads: 0

is that mean after SOMA (really) fineshed, i can play amnesia on ps/xbox?
09-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(09-22-2015, 09:11 AM)Jun Wrote: is that mean after SOMA (really) fineshed, i can play amnesia on ps/xbox?

Its a speculation and question that Googolplex has asked. If Amnesia were to come to PlayStation and/or XBox, it is unconfirmed.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
09-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Find