Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New trailer for Depth
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: New trailer for Depth

(09-29-2015, 12:56 AM)caffeine4671 Wrote:
Renegade Cinema Wrote:Don: Yes, it’s tentatively called Depth right now

Quote:...tentatively called Depth right now

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tentatively

Translation: "We're working on a title but just as a placeholder it's called Depth at this particular moment in time"

I'm aware of that, but the doubt raised by some people was whether or not the film exists, rather than whether or not Depth is the definitive title. When I posted the quote from the interview with the director, I was providing a source for the existence of the film.

We refer to the film as Depth because it's the only known title at this time; what else could we call it?

Even if FG/Imagos decided to release it only as a series of videos instead of a feature film, it doesn't mean it was a hoax, it just means there was a change of plans, and that's OK.

09-29-2015, 01:40 AM
Find
caffeine4671 Offline

Threads: 4

(09-29-2015, 01:40 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 12:56 AM)caffeine4671 Wrote:
Renegade Cinema Wrote:Don: Yes, it’s tentatively called Depth right now

Quote:...tentatively called Depth right now

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tentatively

Translation: "We're working on a title but just as a placeholder it's called Depth at this particular moment in time"

I'm aware of that, but the doubt raised by some people was whether or not the film exists, rather than whether or not Depth is the definitive title. When I posted the quote from the interview with the director, I was providing a source for the existence of the film.

Not disagreeing in the slightest, I was just was making a comment on how much people base things on assumptions and that's all my post entailed.

I was saying that people claiming it was a hoax and people likewise not (I'm guilty too, by the way) were basing their reasoning on the core assumption that 'Depth' was the final title and that it was even intended to be a full-length film. We know that filming was done based on twitter posts and casting calls and thusly what the plot might entail.
However, the release date, the feature type and title were not things that were set in stone or confirmed and were largely assumed by people.
09-29-2015, 06:36 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

I just think that it was unfair and unfounded of people to say the film was a hoax (well, as far as I know, only one person thought so here on the forum -- probably a few more outside because the rumour was spread via the SOMA Wiki), when there's so much information available about it from reliable sources, like the director Don Thacker and the production company Imagos Films.

ArioDargeto even went so far as to say that "it is not an actual film project, that was a rumor started by commenters on youtube." -- This is absurd!

Any changes made to a project (doesn't matter if it's the release timeframe, title, type of release, etc.) don't turn that project into a hoax, that's what some people don't seem to understand.

I still believe there's a chance that it will be released as one single entity. Let's not forget that, when asked: "Will there be a theatrical showing of the film, as suggested by the technical specifications on IMDb?", Thomas replied: "Might be."

09-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(09-29-2015, 06:36 AM)caffeine4671 Wrote: However, the release date, the feature type and title were not things that were set in stone or confirmed and were largely assumed by people.

Everything ever said about it anywhere by anyone involved with the production supports the idea that it's a feature film, and nothing they've ever said supports the contrary. The casting call labels it as a feature film - does it at all seem likely that a production company would falsely advertise their project to prospective actors? On top of this, Don Thacker has said that it's "long enough" [skip to 20:50] to possibly be shown in theatres. The film also has a theatrical ratio in its specifications on IMDb which the first two films did not have. By itself that might not mean much, but in combination with what Don has said it adds to a strong cumulative argument that it's a feature film, as does the simple fact of the production having taken over a year to complete, rather than the approx. 1 month needed for the first two films.

The existence and length of the film (regardless of how we end up ultimately seeing it, whether as short clips or one long film) is - according to all available evidence from those who would know, including the director of the film - not in question.

09-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Find