Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Accolades Trailer & "10 Days After Launch"
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
Accolades Trailer & "10 Days After Launch"

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2015...aunch.html

EDIT: seems Jens posted this stuff after me (slow poke! Tongue). Feel free to delete this thread Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 01:43 PM by Paddy™.)
10-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Find
Omnitool Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Accolades Trailer & 10 Days After Launch

Nice Big Grin Am I right or did it even score better then Amnesia?
A well deserved score, it would have deserved even more (at least 9.5).
With all its bells and whistles Alien Isolation hardly got an 8.5 (source: metacritic).

Maybe the big gaming companies like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Valve and all the AAA title makers out there could learn something of this! WATCH AND LEARN!!
Instead of making crappy FPS and MOBA multiplayers that force you to throw real money on stupid useless skins for a knife or pistol or for an in game character that does NOTHING and where the gameplay consists of frantically clicking the left mouse button until the paint on it fades, and instead of even crappied IOS / Android games where you must pay real money to progress in a game where you only tap and tilt the screen with some lame 2D handdrawn graphics with no kind of story or plot, please make something of quality, like SOMA!

It took a team of maybe less then 20 people to make this masterpiece using their own built game engine, and probably less then 5% of the budget of a single Call of Duty game!
It's been over 10 days since release now and people are still discussing it on the forums like in the first day! I've read posts by people saying they replayed it 5 times!

I tell you, SOMA is going to be a phenomenon, like The Matrix, Half-Life or any other great hit out there! It will be discussed for decades, books will be written, fan theories will pour all over the internet, mods and fan movies will be made!
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 05:25 PM by Omnitool.)
10-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Accolades Trailer & "10 Days After Launch"

Where is that "climbing monster" at the end of this trailer?
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 04:45 PM by Googolplex.)
10-01-2015, 04:44 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

Really looking forward for future Frictional projects.
What are possibilites for new IP? Can we expect a sequel to SOMA or maybe sequel to Amnesia or something completely new?

Googolplex, spoiler ahead
Spoiler below!
It's Ross, I think.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 04:59 PM by Radiance.)
10-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(10-01-2015, 02:00 PM)AlterVision Wrote: Nice Big Grin Am I right or did it even score better then Amnesia?
With all its bells and whistles Alien Isolation hardly got an 8.5 (source: metacritic).

Maybe the big gaming companies like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Valve and all the AAA title makers out there could learn something of this! WATCH AND LEARN!!
Instead of making crappy FPS and MOBA multiplayers that force you to throw real money on stupid useless skins for a knife or pistol or for an in game character that does NOTHING and where the gameplay consists of frantically clicking the left mouse button until the paint on it fades, and instead of even crappied IOS / Android games where you must pay real money to progress in a game where you only tap and tilt the screen with some lame 2D handdrawn graphics with no kind of story or plot, please make something of quality, like SOMA!

It took a team of maybe less then 20 people to make this masterpiece using their own built game engine, and probably less then 5% of the budget of a single Call of Duty game!
It's been over 10 days since release now and people are still discussing it on the forums like in the first day! I've read posts by people saying they replayed it 5 times!

I tell you, SOMA is going to be a phenomenon, like The Matrix, Half-Life or any other great hit out there! It will be discussed for decades, books will be written, fan theories will pour all over the internet, mods and fan movies will be made!

You know, there's a chance that without Valve we wouldn't have Amnesia and SOMA now. So show some respect to the people that master the terms of video games design.
10-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(10-01-2015, 06:44 PM)Slanderous Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 02:00 PM)AlterVision Wrote: Nice Big Grin Am I right or did it even score better then Amnesia?

You know, there's a chance that without Valve we wouldn't have Amnesia and SOMA now. So show some respect to the people that master the terms of video games design.

There's also a chance without YouTube we wouldn't have SOMA now.

This forum is dead
10-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Find
Omnitool Offline

(10-01-2015, 06:44 PM)Slanderous Wrote: You know, there's a chance that without Valve we wouldn't have Amnesia and SOMA now. So show some respect to the people that master the terms of video games design.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful in any way, I know Valve revolutionised videogames and they will forover remain in history with this, nonody can take that from them... I love them for Half-Life and they have my deepest respect and admiration.
But, I just wanted to say that I don't like the direction they tool at all...they just jumped in the pay-per-item bandwagon with CS:GO (there are useless weapon skins selling for hundreds of dollars) and with Steam being a constant source of income, they decided to go fully comercial and leave the great original ideas behind Sad
Half-Life 3 was officially cancelled, it was clearly stated in a May 2015 interview. They also said they will most likely never make a classic Single-player FPS like Half-Life again, they will keep pouring arcade multiplayer coops.
There is a modding team working on an indie mod for Half-Life, trying to recreate the canned Episode 3 as a mod. Their lead said that 3 times he was about to lose all his work because Valve was installing updates to the SDK, and these updates modified the project's filesystem, causing files to be deleted, overwritten of invalidated. This issue put the project behind about 2 years, with now pending an imminent release. It is like they wanted to sabotage the mod, to do anything possible to prevent it from being made! Do I need to mention that a lot of great ideas actually come from the modding community? Counter-Strike is actually a Half-Life mod made by the community, which Valve just started curating after it bacame the most played multiplayer FPS.
EA bought the System Shock legal rights in 2013, what did they do with them...NOTHING, just lock them up in a vault to collect dust. Also a team of modders working on a project called System Shock 1 Remake were harassed by EA's lawyers, who prohibited them from associating the "System Shock" name even with a free mod! The project is still going on with the name "Shock Reborn".
They also bought the Star Wars KOTOR rights from Lucas Arts, what did they do with them? Everyone wanted a classic Kotor 3, instead they released a commercial MMORPG that ruined any sense of imertion and plot coherence. Again, a brilliant moder is working hard do do a Kotor 3 for over 7 years now, but he is not allowed to port assets from the previous game (although it is virtually identical, with the same engine and filesystem), he may not receive donations from fans who would like to repay him from his work, and he had to write his own modding software since they released no SDK.
I am just dissapointed, when it is clearly what fans like why do they never listen to us. Why do they create a great game series and cancel it to work on a commercial arcade made for raising easy money. Why do they just buy legal rights to a great title just to burry it completly and for the sake of keeping another company from makeing the game that the fans want and they are unable to provide? Why are they throwing so many obstacles at modders?

With the videogame development technology today there is so much potential, so many possibilities, so many great ways to tell a story! It is so sad to see so much potential wasted...

Ever had a favourite band, that was a small, indie, underground band but you just loved their music because it was innovative, inspiring and fresh?
How did you feel when this band went mainstream, and the second they became famous they started playing only crappy commercial music, ruining everything?
This is how i feel... Sad
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 09:46 PM by Omnitool.)
10-01-2015, 09:32 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(10-01-2015, 09:32 PM)AlterVision Wrote: Half-Life 3 was officially cancelled, it was clearly stated in a May 2015 interview. They also said they will most likely never make a classic Single-player FPS like Half-Life again, they will keep pouring arcade multiplayer coops.

It was in March, and this is the relevant quote from Gabe Newell:

"The only reason we'd go back and do like a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch of people just internally at Valve said they wanted to do it and had a reasonable explanation for why [they did]," he said.

"But you know if you want to do another Half-Life game and you want to ignore everything we've learned in shipping Portal 2 and in shipping all the updates on the multiplayer side, that seems like a bad choice. So we'll keep moving forward. But that doesn't necessarily always mean what people are worried that it might mean."

Link: http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/18/8253189...-half-life
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 08:08 PM by hollowleviathan.)
10-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Find
Omnitool Offline

(10-05-2015, 08:08 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 09:32 PM)AlterVision Wrote: Half-Life 3 was officially cancelled, it was clearly stated in a May 2015 interview. They also said they will most likely never make a classic Single-player FPS like Half-Life again, they will keep pouring arcade multiplayer coops.

It was in March, and this is the relevant quote from Gabe Newell:

"The only reason we'd go back and do like a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch of people just internally at Valve said they wanted to do it and had a reasonable explanation for why [they did]," he said.

"But you know if you want to do another Half-Life game and you want to ignore everything we've learned in shipping Portal 2 and in shipping all the updates on the multiplayer side, that seems like a bad choice. So we'll keep moving forward. But that doesn't necessarily always mean what people are worried that it might mean."

Link: http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/18/8253189...-half-life

Off-topic: It looks like we will actually get a new Half-Life game very soon. It will be the long awaited Episode 3!

It is called Half-Life 2: Episode 3 - The Closure and it will continue the action right where Episode 2 ended. Gordon Freeman will begin his journey to find the Borealis and uncover the secrets hidden there, the entire humanity depending on his choices.
It features over 20 hours of gameplay, new weapons, vehicles and physical puzzles and immersive maps, just like its predecessors!
And more good news, it is expected to be released in about a week!

Read everything about it here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-closure
10-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Find