Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PoC] Level Streaming
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22
[PoC] Level Streaming

Well, it's the weekend, and that means some more PoC's, and as you've probably gathered by now, this one is about level streaming.

[Image: ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma...olor=black]
[Image: ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma...olor=black]

This one does come with a bit of a warning. The point of my PoC maps is to make a small map in order to test and show off a single concept. The problem though, is that level streaming really seems to be intended for bigger maps.

The idea seems to be that, during the course of an entire map, you have the next map preloading in the background. That way, it shouldn't matter how big the map you are loading is, since the map will be long enough that the game can take its sweet time along the way. However, like I said, these PoC maps are really quite small, so the proper approach to preloading a map hardly gets any time at all, leading to some quirks and bugs, and possibly even some minor freezing as the game is trying to keep up.

Another thing is that, with this map, I tied two maps together so you are basically running in a circle from one map to the other and back. I'm not sure the level streaming feature was designed for that, though, as I'm getting some oddities that I can't quite figure out, like how sometimes the light in the intermediary room will switch from on to off or vice versa when the map gets switched.

In any case, you know the drill. Grab the map on Steam Workshop, if you feel so inclined. EDIT: This and my other PoC mods are now available on MoDDB as well.

Since this is starting to become something of a series, I'd like to offer it up to you guys if you have any suggestions on topics you would like to see me cover.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2015, 05:29 PM by Abion47.)
11-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
RE: [PoC] Level Streaming

Modifying enemies?
11-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Find