Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Custom Story pet peeves
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
RE: Custom Story pet peeves

This is a big topic and I could go on for hours talking about all the things I don't like about custom stories in general, but I'll try to keep it simple and just mention two things that haven't been mentioned here.
  • Absence of welders
    The welder objects are created to fix the connections of some walls, mainly mansionbase. However, I see poorly placed together walls way more often than I should. Put those welders into your corners, concave AND convex.
  • "Featuring x lines of code"
    I see this around ModDB as some kind of toxic trend.
    I mean, it's nice that you managed to write "250 500 350 251 658 156 lines of code" but if 80% of it is just copy pasted entity collide callback it doesn't mean anything.
02-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Oh yeah, the code thing. It doesn't bother me but I can see why it would. If it's a huge mod made by someone who knows their shit, then having X thousand lines can be kinda impressive. But in general, a script is most effective if written brief and simple, instead of adding a separate if-statement to every condition.

02-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Find
JayTheGameGuy Offline

Threads: 1

(11-27-2015, 10:45 AM)Mudbill Wrote: >you picked up an item
>you use the item immediately
>item is never used again

I much prefer items to at least serve some proper purpose. In rare cases does this setup work for me. For example you pick up a crowbar, then use the crowbar on the closest door, and then the crowbar is removed from your inventory. If there's no real reason to use that item there, why is it there? The door might as well just be unlocked to begin with.

Wow, that's actually what i'm doing with MY custom story, you find a crowbar and you keep it forevah! :D
12-09-2016, 06:31 AM
Find