Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra - Overture announced!
Unregistered

RE: Penumbra - Overture announced!

Maybe the the hero never liked guns, soo he dont know how to use them, and if that was a scientific complex they dont needed guns or they dont haved them, thats why all of them are dead now. Big Grin
09-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Unregistered

The complex looked like a military research center, and may have had guns. There are several things why not guns should be implented. There will be mods where guns can be implented.
09-15-2006, 08:33 PM
gamgam2 Offline

Threads: 23

ya, I'm starting to think that no guns are a good idea, everyone wants guns, becuase you want to kill them, not really use any type of traps for it

But I do think you should make some sort of ranged weapon, like a flare-launcher, it woudn't do much damage, but you can spray something flamable(Maybe a gas-can, or something) onto the monster, and then shoot a flare at it and get it on fire, don't know how hard that would be to make the flames on it thoughSad

Sometimes, if you look carefully at a wall for a few minutes, you'll realize you wasted some time.  It's true.
09-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Website Find
gamgam2 Offline

Sorry for double post, but for some reason I can't edit my above post>_<

Anyways, a question for the devolopers

What does Overture mean? I'm going to go look it up*grumble* But I doubt I'd find out what it is:S

Sometimes, if you look carefully at a wall for a few minutes, you'll realize you wasted some time.  It's true.
09-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Website Find
Unregistered

OK, people. Go over the weapons tread please, this is getting off-topic.
09-17-2006, 08:11 AM
gamgam2 Offline

alright, I'll ask some questions again(Hopefully I can think of some=/)
Where did you get the name "Penumbra" ?

Where did you get the name "Overture" ?

How many monsters will be in this game? Like alot of different ones barely used twice, medium amout used a couple times, or a small amout used alot(or you can't tell? >Tongue)

How long will this be compared to the "tech demo" ? Or you can't tell?

If you do get a pubplisher, will the game come in like the official box's, with a nice picture on the front, some pictures on the back telling about the game, the cd+cd-booklet? (I'd expect those to be pretty standered now-a-days...)

You told us about a new melee system, will you be able to put ANYTHING in your bookbag(maybe some idems take up more space) Like a pickaxe, latern, maybe a metal bar (Basicly non-important things)

Will this game have a fancy intro? Like a movie? Or are you sticking with pictures?
(If your staying with pictures, are you making a longer/better intro? Or you can't really say? )

How challenging are the puzzles compared to the "tech demo" ?

Sorry for misspelling things, I'm too lazy right now>_>
And thanks for answering if you do.

09-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Website Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

gamgam2 Wrote:Where did you get the name "Overture" ?
It symbolizes is the beginning of something. To know what, play the game Wink

gamgam2 Wrote:How many monsters will be in this game? Like alot of different ones barely used twice, medium amout used a couple times, or a small amout used alot(or you can't tell? >Tongue)
Monsters encounters will be rare (or at least rarer than normal games) and we want to try and make them different as unique as possible. This does not mean there will be 20 different monsters though Smile

gamgam2 Wrote:How long will this be compared to the "tech demo" ? Or you can't tell?
Hard to tell at this point.

gamgam2 Wrote:If you do get a pubplisher, will the game come in like the official box's, with a nice picture on the front, some pictures on the back telling about the game, the cd+cd-booklet? (I'd expect those to be pretty standered now-a-days...)
Yup, something like that.

gamgam2 Wrote:You told us about a new melee system, will you be able to put ANYTHING in your bookbag(maybe some idems take up more space) Like a pickaxe, latern, maybe a metal bar (Basicly non-important things)
There will be special melee items. We will try to make all stuff that the player would like to use as melee a weapon. However it will not be like Dead Rising where all things are melee weapons.

gamgam2 Wrote:Will this game have a fancy intro? Like a movie? Or are you sticking with pictures?
(If your staying with pictures, are you making a longer/better intro? Or you can't really say? )
Dunno at this point.

gamgam2 Wrote:How challenging are the puzzles compared to the "tech demo" ?
Hard to say Tongue All should be solvable if you think enough. It will probably be like the demo + a lil bit more challanging.
09-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Find
gamgam2 Offline

Here's a list of all the questions asked+answered.  No one else is posting here, so if you have any questions you want to ask that isn't answered yet, just ask here. Damn, the way I had this typed out doesn't work, I had italics and everything-_-Ahh well.

That means that you will include everything from the demo, or are you guys rewriting that part of the game?
The tech demo levels will not be in the game.

You said new melee combat.. can you explain what that intitles or is it a secret?
We are gonna post some videos of it when it gets more refined. As a hint I can say that we have system to go to from animation to ragdoll and back and we are using it

Also, you said commecial, that means we have to buy it then.... Will it be relatively cheap?
I'm afraid this is unkown at the moment. It will most likely be budget priced though.
How would we purchase this game? Online? Or would it acually be shipped out to stores?
No idea yet.

Are you guys going to alter the story line alittle? I haven't played this in awhile, but I think the dad was missing for like a few years, and you try surviving in that place for a day...or 2....
The story will stay the same with some small alterations.

When will this be out? Or is it told somewhere else on this site?
It will be out in 2007, can't say more than that.
Dunno if this was asked yet, but can we expect a demo? Or was the tech demo our demo?
There will be a some kind of demo before release. Not sure at this point waht kind of demo though. Might be an updated version of the current demo with new enemies and weapons. Nothing is decided yet though.
Where did you get the name "Overture" ?
It symbolizes is the beginning of something. To know what, play the game
How many monsters will be in this game? Like alot of different ones barely used twice, medium amout used a couple times, or a small amout used alot(or you can't tell?
Monsters encounters will be rare (or at least rarer than normal games) and we want to try and make them different as unique as possible. This does not mean there will be 20 different monsters though
How long will this be compared to the "tech demo" ? Or you can't tell?
Hard to tell at this point.

If you do get a pubplisher, will the game come in like the official box's, with a nice picture on the front, some pictures on the back telling about the game, the cd+cd-booklet? (I'd expect those to be pretty standered now-a-days...)
Yup, something like that.

You told us about a new melee system, will you be able to put ANYTHING in your bookbag(maybe some idems take up more space) Like a pickaxe, latern, maybe a metal bar (Basicly non-important things)
There will be special melee items. We will try to make all stuff that the player would like to use as melee a weapon. However it will not be like Dead Rising where all things are melee weapons
Will this game have a fancy intro? Like a movie? Or are you sticking with pictures?
Dunno at this point.

How challenging are the puzzles compared to the "tech demo" ?
Hard to say All should be solvable if you think enough. It will probably be like the demo + a lil bit more challanging.

10-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Website Find
Unregistered

Will the monsters appearance be explained in Overture?
10-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

c00lz Wrote:Will the monsters appearance be explained in Overture?
Yup, There will be alot deeper story in Overture. The tech demo really had no sory ingame at all, Overture will rather be the opposite with a lot of things to find out and experience.
10-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Find