Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Achievements?
alfie Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Achievements?

Yeah, make them not show up mid game and I dont mind.
06-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Find
CaseySmith Offline

Threads: 0

I really hope not. I don't think it would mesh well with the gameplay style/genre to my mind. But yeah, if they don't show up or have an option not to show up, sure.

But on that note, I'm thinking they could be indirect spoilers of what's to come.
06-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Find
tacc Offline

Threads: 5

(05-25-2010, 09:13 PM)TeleProd Wrote: (like achievement pop-ups
Steamworks allows the developers to choose in which corner the achievement messages appear. So I think they might as well be able to hide them. Maybe they even are able to let the player decide.

Quote:and probably achievement hunting in general)
Shouldn't that be the decision of the player if they want to collect achievements or not? It's like not offering a brightness option because the player could make the screen too bright.

(06-02-2010, 10:39 PM)naturon Wrote: Terrible idea. Most "achievements" are nothing more than passing events, and you can get most of them just by playing through the main game once.
So they shouldn't include achievements because other developers are lazy?

(06-08-2010, 05:38 PM)CaseySmith Wrote: But on that note, I'm thinking they could be indirect spoilers of what's to come.
Then they simply don't provide a description or create hidden achievements. I know hidden achievements are visible in various places but all those places only exist because of achievements. So if you go there it's your fault when you get spoiled. The only exception is the details view of Steam, but there you still need to hover above the icons in order to see the name and description.
06-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Find
naturon Offline

Threads: 1

(06-09-2010, 06:32 PM)tacc Wrote:
(06-02-2010, 10:39 PM)naturon Wrote: Terrible idea. Most "achievements" are nothing more than passing events, and you can get most of them just by playing through the main game once.
So they shouldn't include achievements because other developers are lazy?

The people over at Frictional Games especially Thomas are very adamant regarding their beliefs that video games have the potential to become something transcendent and yet that potential is wasted in lieu of something more gameplay-oriented and entertaining. Tell me, how would a horror-puzzle game (presumably) incorporate achievements as an integral and useful part of the game?
06-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Find