Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why only Pc?
LarZen Offline

Threads: 1
Why only Pc?

So why only make this game for the Pc? Why not get it out for the PS3 and X360?

Either on a disc or digital? Why sell so few copies when you can sell so many more?

And before the nerd rage comes I would like to say I like your games realy much but betting on a old horse aint the best...time to move to new better fields Frictional Games?
06-24-2010, 02:05 AM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Why only Pc?

(06-24-2010, 02:05 AM)LarZen Wrote: So why only make this game for the Pc? Why not get it out for the PS3 and X360?

Either on a disc or digital? Why sell so few copies when you can sell so many more?

And before the nerd rage comes I would like to say I like your games realy much but betting on a old horse aint the best...time to move to new better fields Frictional Games?

First of all, I don't think they have the money to buy devkits.
Second, I doubt they have the resources to build and test ports of a game simultaneously, even if they had devkits.
Third, the only console that could likely pull off their control scheme and not feel completely terrible is the Wii.
Lastly, PC is far from an "old horse". In 2-3 years, PS3 and 360 will be old and obsolete (and the way things are going, nothing will be backwards compatible next gen), while you can still play games from 1980 on your PC right now.
06-24-2010, 02:52 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I think the best of Freeman's reasons is the controls sucking. Analog sticks were never really meant for first person games and never have been good at being as accurate as a mouse of competent DPI. Turning and moving in console games has always felt very unnatural to me. Add to it the fact that there is probably no real way to manage inventory without pausing the game due to the small number of buttons and the cumbersomeness of a stick control. I'm also not entirely sure how you could lean comfortably. You could maybe do what Call of Juarez 2 did and have the player lean automatically against a wall, or possibly do a Riddick and sacrifice mobility for the ability to lean.

Plus PC's better. >:O

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
06-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Website Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

We'd love to get the game out on consoles, but we simply do not have the time or resources... Confused

yet Wink
06-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Find
TheLittleGarfield Offline

Threads: 2

(06-24-2010, 04:50 AM)Lee Wrote: Plus PC's better. >:O

Tottaly!

Meh...
06-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I tried playing Penumbra with Xbox 360 controller, using Xpadder to set the keys and it didn't work out that well... Hammer / Pickaxe swinging was awful.
However, if interacting with world is made easier for console, then why not...

06-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Website Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

(06-24-2010, 11:20 AM)Scraper Wrote: However, if interacting with world is made easier for console, then why not...

If they simplified world interactions too much, they'd be making the games a lot less fun to play, imo.
06-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Find
naturon Offline

Threads: 1

Because the XBox and Playstation are not built to play adventure games. Which is what Penumbra is at its core. You need a fluent mouse to play them as they were intended to. Can you really imagine playing say the Monkey Island games with a joystick? And despite having such prominent adventure elements, Penumbra presents itself as a survival horror game. To make up for a lack of offensive capabilities (especially in Black Plague), the controls are centered primarily around mobility and maneuverability.

Personally, I always found moving especially in first person shooters on the XBox and Playstation to be awkward. I'm sure there are some people that have mastered those controls but honestly, it's a fact that movement on the PC is a lot easier and more fluent than on the consoles. I'm not going to say my inability to control means no one is able to, but it still strikes me as very counterintuitive and simply inferior.
06-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

I played the old Discworld game on the old PS and it worked fine with the controller. But of course, that was a 2D game without physics interactions.
06-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Find
RoyaleBeast Offline

Threads: 16

i say frictional should make a game for the iphone like there old game fiend. also on freemans statement about playing games from 1980. its true the pc will never be outdated. sad thing is that console developers see the pc as a lost resource. i mean i cant tell people im a pc gamer becuase people think im an idiot
06-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Find