Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Monsters following through zone doorways
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15
Monsters following through zone doorways

I was thinking about it, and in Penumbra one of the things that killed the sensation of horror the most for me was when I found out that going through a door to another zone would immediately cause the monsters that were after me to give up and I would be safe on the other side.

I am wondering if this same thing is possible in Amnesia, because I would love it if the monsters were still able to chase through zone doors somehow. Big Grin
08-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Find
tonewww Offline

Threads: 50
RE: Monsters following through zone doorways

Actually if i remember correctly they cant get it because their Brains are to small to know that the doorknobs open most doors so they bang on it (Infected from black plague did that to the door from cells-messhall entrance if you are found) (Or they lack the AIWink)

*Wishes Penumbra Tech Demo section would return*
08-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I believe in Penumbra the doors connecting levels were often sliding doors that could be presumably operated by a button on the door. The Tuurngait that spotted you was so angry that he didn't notice it and just banged on the door. That's why they never follow you through those doors. Instead they just bang on them like they do normal wooden doors, hoping to break them down.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
08-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Website Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

(08-14-2010, 05:14 PM)tonewww Wrote: Actually if i remember correctly they cant get it because their Brains are to small to know that the doorknobs open most doors so they bang on it (Infected from black plague did that to the door from cells-messhall entrance if you are found) (Or they lack the AIWink)

(08-14-2010, 06:45 PM)Lee Wrote: I believe in Penumbra the doors connecting levels were often sliding doors that could be presumably operated by a button on the door. The Tuurngait that spotted you was so angry that he didn't notice it and just banged on the door. That's why they never follow you through those doors. Instead they just bang on them like they do normal wooden doors, hoping to break them down.

Well, that's mostly just the game's way of explaining why they don't follow you, I would like it very much if there were no doors that you could instantly be safe by going through, and that you had to evade them by hiding or running far enough away that they gave up looking, etc. Smile
08-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

(08-14-2010, 08:01 PM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: Well, that's mostly just the game's way of explaining why they don't follow you, I would like it very much if there were no doors that you could instantly be safe by going through, and that you had to evade them by hiding or running far enough away that they gave up looking, etc. Smile

While that would be better from a storytelling point of view, it is nice from a gameplay point of view to have safe zones where you can regroup and think about what to do without forcing you to quit (and possibly to go back the last savepoint).
08-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

There are definitely times when the Infected open doors in Black Plague (like in hte beginning of the game). Conveniently, they forget how to do so when they´re chasing Philip.

I think it would be more scary if they could follow you through loading zones. I´m not sure if "safe zones" are a good idea.
08-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I think they can in scripted sequences because that's when they're not angry. They're committed to searching for a disturbance. But then if they see you, puerile rage kicks in and they can't think about the simplest of things.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
08-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Website Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

I think it's better to have a safe zone, since being chased for too long a period can get tiring fast. Just my thoughts. If it turns out that monsters can follow me through loading zones in Amnesia, I'm sure I will still enjoy the game very much.

Wow - what a mansion!
08-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

(08-16-2010, 11:20 PM)Bulbatron Wrote: I think it's better to have a safe zone, since being chased for too long a period can get tiring fast. Just my thoughts. If it turns out that monsters can follow me through loading zones in Amnesia, I'm sure I will still enjoy the game very much.

I can play most of Overture without even feeling endangered by the dogs at all, since they are so simple to just run past on my way to the next zone door. I doubt that that is intentional. Undecided
08-17-2010, 04:08 AM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

It's understandable that they can't follow. Imagine all the bugs and glitches a dog could cause in the puzzle rooms.

Play on hard instead, then you won't outrun the dogs so easily.
08-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Find