Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Probably not buying this one. :(
MatroXX Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Probably not buying this one. :(

i completely share the same view with Splinterheart.
i also wouldnt use word agree or disagree.it does not matter whether i agree or disagree with him,it matters what i think about the gameplay of myself.

so yes when the gameplay gets scary then its I who want to feel and see it by myself.my character broke mentally several times in situations where i was completely calm and focused in gameplay.so it made me feel what the hell...

i guess its just matter of taste or prefference and perhaps many players can become one with the game main character but i personally couldnt do it.
i want to see,feel,experience it by myself.

i still plan to get this game and finish it.
sry bout my crappy english but i hope you get the idea.
09-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-06-2010, 12:14 AM)Splinterheart Wrote: I played all the Penumbra series games and enjoyed them very much, so I was naturally looking forward to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I just finished playing the demo and if that's what the full game is going to be like (and I'm sure it will be) then I probably won't be adding it to my game collection.

The lighting and level designs are great and the physics even more so... the mood is good, scary yet inviting, but the whole thing with your "sanity"... the vision being contorted uncontrollably and all that.... is actually more annoying rather than immersive. I feel like I'm being forced to feel what my character is feeling instead of allowing MY own REAL reactions and feelings to come through! It's like the game is dictating what I should feel!

There are several moments when the character gasps and his breath trembles, the FOV stretches and all that, and I guess (?) I'm supposed to be witnessing some "unsettling" moment, but there's nothing happening for me to actually see. Very confusing! Did I miss it? Where was I supposed to be looking? Hmm, I think I'm supposed to be scared now, but I'm not. *sigh*

There was one spot right at the start where a door blows open from the wind... and my character practically wets his pants, but I was like, "Uhh, yeah, okay. Whatever. Classic, but cheap gag." If he would have just gasped quickly, that would have been good enough for that particular moment... but the vision distorts way out of whack and tilts to one side as if he just had a stroke.

I hate the fact that the darkness causes you to lose sanity and, for me, it doesn't work as a good game mechanic. Maybe it would work, I guess, if it didn't happen so quickly. One minute, my character is fine, but then the next minute (literally), he's having a complete mental meltdown. Speaking of which, the "teeth grinding" was about to give me a meltdown in the real world and is almost reason enough not to buy the game. If the game induces enough stress and fright to make the player grind their teeth, then let THEM hear the grinding of THEIR teeth. I don't need (or want) to hear someone else's teeth grinding. All I heard was... distraction... distraction... distraction....

Seriously, and this isn't meant to be disrespectful to what Amnesia is trying to do, but I got a bigger emotional and psychological reaction from Doom 3 the first time I played it. Major anxiety... could only play for about 45 minutes at a time before I had to get up and turn on the lights. And for anyone who's played Thief 3... the Shalebridge Cradle mission... yeah, you know what I'm talkin' about. Smile

Anyway, back to losing sanity... Amnesia: TDD doesn't give you any time to wait in the shadows for enemies... or time for much else either. You have to find or create light to "survive", but that only causes you to be seen by the enemies (which makes you lose sanity even faster?), so it's a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't sort of situation that lowers the fun factor several notches. And the lamp oil... OMFG, how FAST does a lamp burn oil? (And I thought the battery drain in Penumbra was ridiculous.) Again, this just makes the whole "the darkness can kill you" idea even less fun.

It's like the game is constantly making me HURRY to solve puzzles and "make progress". (There's even an onscreen hint that says as much!) I like to take my time with this sort of thing... explore... creep... think. But Amnesia doesn't allow it. It's like there's a pushy, nagging hand at my shoulder that constantly suggests, "Hurry, or you'll DIE! Hurry hurry! Move it! No time to look at things, no time to take in the environment... GO! NOW!"

I'm not trying to say that the game is going to suck, or that the demo does... it just didn't work for me. I was expecting something very different, I guess. Again, I liked the Penumbra games a lot... very unique and immersive, and I loved the fact that you didn't even need to have a weapon to get through it. I thought Amnesia would be more like that but in a different time/place with a new story and characters. I had really been looking forward to this for the past few months, but now.... well, I'm not anymore. At the least, I'll say "Thanks" to the developer for releasing a demo so I can find out these sort of things before making a purchase.

If Amnesia: TDD was a little less pushy, a little less "in your face" with the character's over-the-top emotional dictation, and a little more forgiving with the rules, then it might be fun.
Undecided

Anyway, my two cents. Hope the rest of you like it better than I did!

Peace out.

- S -

Buy the game, remove all breathing, gasping sounds, etc.
Remove all calls to StartPlayerLookAt in the map scripts.

Voilá.

And maybe add timers that keeps your sanity at 100%?

[Image: 16455.png]
09-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Find
The Sombrero Kid Offline

Threads: 0

You have to remember the message in the game at the start, they amplified the insanity effects making them more pronounced and come on more rapidly to make them apparent over the course of the demo, i'm pretty sure the actual mechanic is about making the safe zones / danger zones of penumbra more seamless and dynamic, which would be a good thing.
09-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Find
lobban Offline

Threads: 1

First of all, the demo doesn't run as the whole game. As Sombrero Kid says above me.

Second, I'm pretty sure that the intended effect of a scared protagonist is making it a more believable experience. Trying to be "me" in a game like this really isn't a viable option as I know I would be scared shitless if that really happened to me but not as much while playing the game. So the mechanics sort of hinders you to do improbable things like running up to a monsters face, hugging him or follow him 2 cms from behind and such.

The sanity loss of standing in the darkness was a bit fast in the demo but won't be as tedious in the full game for what I know of.
09-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Find