Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

meristation.com review
monkeyshots Offline

Threads: 1
meristation.com review

got only a 6 of 10. i think the review is in spanish:

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_analis...dp=&otro=1
09-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Find
Akong Offline

Threads: 1
RE: meristation.com review

That's above average!

I'll never understand gaming review scores...
09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Find
PerfectBlue Offline

Threads: 12

Basically in the review they are penalizing the game for appealing to a very niche market of true survivor horror fans while claiming this approach will alienate a wider audience. Using that as a criticism, in general, is pretty ridiculous to me.
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Find
TParis Offline

Threads: 2

Above average? Who said that 5 is an average score? I think the score should indicate how much fun a game is.
09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Find
Sajber Offline

Threads: 6

(09-07-2010, 03:22 PM)PerfectBlue Wrote: Basically in the review they are penalizing the game for appealing to a very niche market of true survivor horror fans while claiming this approach will alienate a wider audience. Using that as a criticism, in general, is pretty ridiculous to me.

Yeah that is a pretty bad excuse for lowering the score.

The Unofficial Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Penumbra and Frictional Games IRC Channel.
#amnesiareleaseparty @ irc.gamesurge.net
09-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

(09-07-2010, 03:22 PM)PerfectBlue Wrote: Basically in the review they are penalizing the game for appealing to a very niche market of true survivor horror fans while claiming this approach will alienate a wider audience. Using that as a criticism, in general, is pretty ridiculous to me.

Really? Wow, what an idiot reviewer.
09-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Find
Dyni Crippler Offline

Threads: 2

I can't understand spanish, so thanks for translating.
Still, it's kinda... well, non-sense. Since it's a niche market it should be promoted, not penalized. :\
09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I think 5/10 is supposed to mean "okay," so above okay is still good. Not a great score, and the justification PrefectBlue stated is pretty fucking poor.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Website Find
RoadCrewWorker Offline

Threads: 0

Let's not turn this into a debate about 5-is-average vs 7-9 inflated rating systems. The arguments about a niche-appeal maybe valid, but a 1-10 number is inherently non-informative and can't possibly reflect that kind of qualified statement.

The idea to penalize the game for not being gears-of-halo-3 is insultingly unprofessional though.
09-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Find
Mikezila Offline

Threads: 5

(My spanish is mediocre.)

They say the game does many things that don't appeal to the kind of person that may buy the game. (Told you it's rusty.) They more or less say that making you run from enemies and having no way to fight is not what horror gamers expect or want. They say the game is targeted at a very small very specific niche, and that the game's presentation doesn't convey that. In a roundabout way they complain that the game is scary, and atmospheric, and immersive, but they complain that the game relies on you being helpless for all of it's fear.

They basically complain that the game is only scary because you always have to run. They think it was used as a crutch.
09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Find