Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

You are playing Custom Stories Wrong, developers.
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
You are playing Custom Stories Wrong, developers.

Hey guys!

So I actually realized something very interesting.

As I was playing some random Custom Story, I was writing down the mistakes and occasionally something to remember as it struck me.

I paused the game and as the screen blurred into the pause menu and the music faded out I looked around my room.

The sun was shinning brightly, the light sound of the street's ambiance could be heard.
"What am I doing?" I asked myself and "Save & Exit"ed the game. Amnesia isn't supposed to be played like that.

I got into the SCIENTIST TEST - SOCIAL EXPERIMENT - GONE SCARY - GONE SEXUAL mode.
I set it for myself to create the best atmosphere for playing Amnesia as I could.
The first thing was me opening the Amnesia manual.

"Amnesia shouldn't be played to win."
I began my research.
[Image: XNl9PMd.png]
There it was, the art of roleplaying.

Next thing
"alone in a dark room, late at night"
I waited

Next up
"make sure that the gamma is set correctly in graphics options,"
Done that, been there

Coming right up
"wear headphones and have volume cranked up"
So I went to my friend who does music for a living and borrowed his super-expensive (more expensive than my laptop) headphones and set it up.
Having these, even the System sounds at 1% were really loud.
(perfect)

Having everything prepared and ready, I waited and as my family decided to go to sleep around 11 PM I decided that it was time.

I rushed towards my laptop, turning off the lights, plugging in the headphones, turning off Skype and Steam and Dropbox and GoogleDrive... I would even turn off the OS but it was too late to go back.

I had to choose a custom story. Luckily for me, there was one. It looked bad. (perfect)
From the screenshots I could tell those maps haven't seen a welder and everything just looked bad. I fearlessly downloaded the file and extracted it.

I decided to say some last words before venturing into Amnesia.
Spelos Wrote:
"I am an Amnesia Modder. I know 90% of script functions by heart and know the details of almost every enemy's animation. I know every bug in AI, every physics glitch and I shall look at this mod as critically as I do at every other."

And I launched the game.

After a deafening menu theme with my newly acquired headphones I launched the custom story.

Let me tell you...
I've heard things breathe...
I've seen walls move and shape into inhuman visions...
Full immersion blocked my logical part of my brain and the developer inside me died with the first ambient creak on crook and breathe I heard.

It was a whole new world, I tell you!
Unlike anything I've ever seen before.
Unlike Amnesia itself.
I couldn't bare it... The window was too loud, I didn't want to stay near it, for I though that the loudness of the window prevented me from hearing any potential danger.

My gameplay behavior changed DRASTICALLY.

I avoided the light, avoided anything loud.
A lit candle was the only thing I needed.

For the first time in my life, I've picked up a tinderbox and said:
Spelos Wrote:
"Oh, Thanks god!"

I read the content of a letter and it stated something fairly improbable. Beyond the scope of the developer. It said that in the closet, there lurked an impossible danger, a scary entity which scared many men for life.

And I fricking heard something in that closet before.

I didn't open it. I considered it, I swear. But I couldn't. My heart was beating and adrenalin got into my veins.

--- It was the scariest thing I've ever played. And it wasn't even that good ---

Go ahead, try it.
Throw your pretentiousness away before playing a mod.
For in the mod, you are no developer, you are a pray.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016, 11:23 PM by Spelos.)
02-22-2016, 11:18 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
RE: You are playing Custom Stories Wrong, developers.

[Image: tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif]

Brilliant.
02-23-2016, 11:45 AM
Find