Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Random Monster Spawns? (Spoilers)
Adeno Offline

Threads: 8
Random Monster Spawns? (Spoilers)

Hi there! Anyway, while I was streaming the game on justin tv for some friends to watch while I played, I got to the place that's kinda bluegreen in color. It's the place where it connects to four places, actually it's near the end of the game where there's magic electricity blocking your way in one of the rooms.

Anyway, as I went in for the first time in that bridge area and a flashback memory played, I spotted a monster/zombie walking around. It saw me while the flashback was still playing. I tried to run but the flashback forced me to move slowly. I managed to hide behind some broken pillars and looked at the wall so I wouldn't see the monster.

One of the guys watching me was surprised and said he never had a monster spawn in front of him during that part of the game.

The question is, are there really random monster spawns in the game?

09-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
RE: Random Monster Spawns? (Spoilers)

There are many random things in the game, so yes monster encounters is one of them.
09-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Website Find
Adeno Offline

Threads: 8

Wow, that's nice! I didn't know about that! I already finished the game and I already planned on playing through it again, and now that I know that there are random happenings, there's more excitement in meBig Grin

09-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Find
RoadCrewWorker Offline

Threads: 0

(09-09-2010, 08:45 AM)jens Wrote: There are many random things in the game, so yes monster encounters is one of them.
If the encounters are generated procedurally, is there a simple way to increase the spawn chance or allow spawns in every area (for a less predictable harder third or fourth playthrough)? I've looked through most config files and haven't seen anything, so i kinda fear it might be compiled into the core binary.
09-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

No there is not I'm afraid, it's not built in like that, rather the functions are spread out in map, script and setting files.
09-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Website Find
RoadCrewWorker Offline

Threads: 0

Thank you for the quick response!
Yeah reading through the map xml and map scripts has made things a lot clearer. That stuff is fascinating to me, so maybe ill play around with that a bit. Smile
09-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Find