Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Can a game be Too scary?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
38.89%
14 38.89%
No
61.11%
22 61.11%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Too Scary; Does It exist?
dragonmaster Offline

Threads: 17
Too Scary; Does It exist?

Hey all! It's been over a year since I last posted here, and I returned upon the release of Amnesia.
This doesn't necessarily apply to amnesia or any game in general, But I simply am interested in peoples opinions.

So far I've found Amnesia to be Incredible and Scary. It raises a question in my mind, however.

Do you think that there is a point at which a game can be *too* scary? And have any passed this limit in your eyes?

This question does not regard any game in particular, I am simply curious in what you think.

And in addition, I'd like to greatly congratulate Frictional on releasing Amnesia! I have not even completed it yet, and it already is in my Top 10 Favorite games list.
-Dm

I like horror games but not the ones that give u nightmares :P
But i like the ones that give you an urge to open every door and drawer that you see for a month :D
09-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Find
kastanok Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Too Scary; Does It exist?

I think if something caused people to die in great numbers, that might justifiably be considered too scary but I've never heard of such a thing.

I have heard of songs, for example, which are too depressing and have caused significant people to commit suicide but that's another issue all together.

09-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Website Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

No, I doubt any game could be too scary. While Penumbra was great (and Amnesia, in my mind, is a bit questionable--as I have not yet beaten it), and established a really great atmosphere of horror, nothing in that game ever made me want to stop from pure fear. Penumbra, out of any other game I've played, was the most effective at scaring me, but my threshold for that kind of thing (in movies or video games, at least) is very high.

09-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

Scary is a subjective experience. To the extent that something can be scary for all humans (and I suspect that that is possible at the very least by stimulating certain parts of the brain), I doubt that a game could do it.

On the other hand, I am compelled to believe that a particular game could be too scary for any given person.

Else I would have to believe that any game I play would always be safe enough to never truly terrify me, and I would never have to fear that the game that I'm playing would be too terrifying, thus reducing my scared reactions to any particular game.
09-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

yes ...

for some people.

?
09-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Website Find
girly Offline

Threads: 8

(09-11-2010, 06:29 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: yes ...

for some people.

I love scary games but they don't make me want to stop playing. I like scary movies but haven't seen one in a long while, I think the last movie which scared me is an old movie which I saw on TV - Alien.

Maybe I don't scare easily at the cinema as I'm with a room full of others, whereas playing a scary game I'm usually on my own. Bring em on!
09-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

I'd say it is too scary for me, and I haven't passed the Wine Cellar yet!
Spoiler below!
(Stuck there with no tinder or oil, so eerie dark in there, and I fear running into monsters.) And then I'm hearing all the stories and such about monster chasing you and being faster than expected so they end up right behind you, et cetera.

So yeah, I guess I'm too scared to play on, but yet, the whole idea and such is just so tempting me to go further, thus creating a lovely dilemma. Blush
09-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Find
girly Offline

Threads: 8

(09-20-2010, 10:02 AM)Hionimi Wrote: I'd say it is too scary for me, and I haven't passed the Wine Cellar yet!
Spoiler below!
(Stuck there with no tinder or oil, so eerie dark in there, and I fear running into monsters.) And then I'm hearing all the stories and such about monster chasing you and being faster than expected so they end up right behind you, et cetera.

So yeah, I guess I'm too scared to play on, but yet, the whole idea and such is just so tempting me to go further, thus creating a lovely dilemma. Blush

I must be strange, for some reason I sometimes liked it when I had no lighting (only sometimes though) but the darkness makes it more eerie not knowing what you might encounter.
09-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

When the game starts to get "too scary", I just run through the entire map without stopping to see what will happen. Tongue

09-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Website Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

Some people call this a game , some don"t.

The one-man hide and seek, aka the one-man tag, is a ritual for contacting the dead.

The spirits which are wandering restless on the earth are always looking for bodies to possess. In this ritual you summon such a spirit by offering it a doll instead of a human body.

Do it wrong or not properly you probably gonna get killed by EVIL spirits.

I"ve done it once and WILL NEVER do it again !!!

The possessed doll(with knife) was NOT were i left it (bathroom) , but inches from the place (closet) were STUPID me was hiding(AND I WAS ALONE IN DA HOUSE).

Anyway , for more info read here :

http://sayainunderworld.blogspot.com/200...-seek.html

PS. I will not be hold responsible , so please just read the shit and don"T try this out, okay ...
09-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Website Find