Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What would you like to see from Frictional next?
graykin Offline

Threads: 12
RE: What would you like to see from Frictional next?

Should they really stick with horror? Yeah, they're good at it. Yeah, they've breathed life into a mis-understood, truly neglected genre--survival horror. But how many times can you make the same thing before it truly becomes stale and unremarkable? (Think Call of Duty...)

If they have more unrealized ideas for a horror game, then they should definitely go for it. But I'd also be interested in seeing something different. It doesn't have to be light and cheery like, say, Energetic--it can still be gloomy and thought-provoking--but I'd rather see Frictional changing and adapting to meet (to an extent) their own interests.

09-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Find
Chopper Offline

Threads: 3

if they make an expansion they will have to bring tje horror to an outsid enviroment like the creepy wood surrounding the castle and maybe the town near something happens

[Image: chopper.jpg]
09-13-2010, 02:02 AM
Find
RMJ Offline

Threads: 4

I would like atleast one more game with the setting of Amnesia, i like it very much, perhaps this time a game where you are trapped in a castle.
What i really like in their games is often how you can see light coming in, you feel like youre so close to the outside, yet you have a 5 feet thick wall trapping you in. Just love the atmosphere cant say that enough.

But up ahead, yes some kinda of space horror game. Im still bored with the crap they called Dead space, absolutely horrible bad game.

But it would be nice to know soon from Frictional games, how well amnesia sold so they can keep in business Smile
09-13-2010, 02:20 AM
Find
superluser Offline

(09-12-2010, 10:15 PM)Lee Wrote: I don't think Frictional needs to change that much, but you can't keep doing dark, claustrophobic horror forever.

Well, fair enough. Other types of horror might be a natural progression. What about the fear of never having children, or the fear of dying the same way your mother did?

I don't know if those would make good games, but other, similar fears could probably be good fodder for games.
09-13-2010, 03:13 AM
Find
slasheh Offline

Threads: 0

I'd like to see another survival horror where it is possible to fight back in some cirumstances. The only thing i felt let down about in an otherwise great game was the helplessness I felt towards every creature in the game. Sure that added to the suspense and fear like the water encounters but id of liked the option of fighting back when backed into a corner. In the game the player can lift up, planks of wood...saws..hammers...pipes...but u couldnt wield them as a way to beat a monster.

I'd just like the option of either being able to hide in a cupboard or take my chances, pick up the baseball bat beside the bed and crack something in the head with it.

As for theme, id stay away from zombies and aliens, but i think the setting should stay very similar. Castles are naturally creepy.
09-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(09-13-2010, 03:13 AM)superluser Wrote: Well, fair enough. Other types of horror might be a natural progression. What about the fear of never having children, or the fear of dying the same way your mother did?

I don't know if those would make good games, but other, similar fears could probably be good fodder for games.
The thing about not being able to have children... I wouldn't buy that game, because you'd need to be some sort of bigot to not realize you can just adopt. My sexuality can't stop me from being a dad and not having some specific genes won't make my kid any less of my real kid.

The fear of dying like your mother, though. That sounds interesting. Things as emotionally deep as that would prove really neat. I'm not entirely sure how it would transfer to gameplay, though. It would probably end up like one of those five minute Flash games about life you find every once in a while. Perhaps a commercial game, though, where you press F to not sit in a rocking chair and knit your grandson a sweater.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-13-2010, 03:48 AM
Website Find
superluser Offline

(09-13-2010, 03:48 AM)Lee Wrote: The thing about not being able to have children... I wouldn't buy that game, because you'd need to be some sort of bigot to not realize you can just adopt. My sexuality can't stop me from being a dad and not having some specific genes won't make my kid any less of my real kid.

That's all well and good, but there are many, many women who are driven by the incessant ticking of their biological clock. Sadly, I have yet to meet any of those women.

I originally had that written as ``fear of dying alone,'' but I did not want the two statements to be lumped together, since one is about dying and the other is more about living.

(09-13-2010, 03:48 AM)Lee Wrote: The fear of dying like your mother, though. That sounds interesting. Things as emotionally deep as that would prove really neat. I'm not entirely sure how it would transfer to gameplay, though. It would probably end up like one of those five minute Flash games about life you find every once in a while. Perhaps a commercial game, though, where you press F to not sit in a rocking chair and knit your grandson a sweater.

I remember reading Breakfast of Champions, where Kurt Vonnegut describes how his mother committed suicide, and his fear that he would kill himself the same way was tangible. He did try to kill himself the exact same way, but he proved himself stronger than that and lived until 2007 when he died of brain injuries following a fall. So it goes. I have a similar fear of dying not so much the same way my grandfathers died (each got lung cancer, and I refuse to smoke) as dying the same time the did (when I was in my mid teens). I later found out that one of my grandfathers was a huge fan of Vonnegut, and I feel very sad whenever I think of all the common interests that we would have had when I began to get interested in some of the things you aren't interested in as a dumb teenager, and I feel sadder when I contemplate the possibility of not being the sort of mentor my grandfathers could have been had they been alive.

I don't know how you turn that into a game, but those sorts of fears are perfect for immersion into a game.
09-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Find
Sverd Offline

I believe the next step for FG is to explore outdoor environments so here's my idea:

The next FG game will take place on a huge mountain covered in snow. Instead of sanity, you'll gonna have to watch your body heat; you gotta prevent from freezing. Your goal is to reach the top.

Snow will blind(partially) you and sometimes you're gonna encounter some yetis or stuff like that. Like in Amnesia, fighting is not an option. You can hide from monsters by covering yourself in snow. You wanna hide in snow but you can't stay for a long time because you're gonna freeze. This would be really similar to the sanity system in Amnesia.

I expect some platform jumping puzzles, climbing, some crazy stuff related to vertigo that will scare you! Also maybe you could trigger some avalanche or something like that, but gotta figure a way to escape/survive.

Anyway, I want snow in the next game!
09-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Find
Unreal Offline

Threads: 9

I would love to see a sci-fi horror taking place on an alien, hostile world. Think about it: a sci-fi game with no guns with Frictional's story telling. It could be amazing.
09-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Find
Astor Offline

I would love to see something like the ,,The War of the Worlds'' theme.

Aliens are comming from space to harvest the humans and your job is running away from them. Rolleyes

It could link modern with science fiction stories.
Just an idea.

My PC system:

BenQ G2420HDBL 24' LED monitor (1920x1080)
Sapphire ATI Radeaon HD5670 1GB GDDR5
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2,4GHZ
4GB DDR2 800mhz (Dual-Channel)
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
09-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Find