Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My ramblings about Amnesia
Akasu Offline

Threads: 6
My ramblings about Amnesia

I just finished the game in 9 hours. Great experience it total but there were some things bugging me, especially in the last parts of the game.

This is what happened:
I wanted to help Agrippa but I got stuck because I couldn't find a way to purify the tonic ingredients. I knew there would be something helpful in the laboratory but I couldn't enter it.

I began to go back to the places I had been to (I didn't want to go back to the choir room because I was too nervous at that point). After searching for a while I went back to the place with the blue flames even though I didn't consider it would help because Agrippa asked me to make the tonic before mending the orb (And I really wanted to help Agrippa) but nevertheless, I went there and saw the monster.

This was the only moment in the game I wussed out and exited before a monster could get me. And the reason I quit was frustration. I had searched for the way to make the tonic for 30 minutes and then suddenly - a claw to my face. Another reason was that I had heard that the number of deaths affects the ending which it although doesn't(?) and I had already died twice. Once because my surround sound system failed and I couldn't regognize from which way the sound was coming so I hesitated and the monster hit me from behind, and the second time was in the choir room.

I came here at the forums to look for help and noticed that you actually have to get killed... Ok then, I got 'killed' and the rest of the game went smoothly onwards.. Until the last enemy at the bridge appeared. That moron got himself trapped in a crack on the bridge (the section leading to the orb-chamber) and I had to run back to the door from which I came and then go back to the blue-flame place. Luckily the monster wasn't there anymore.

So I made my way to the orb chamber and immediately after entering I accidentaly pushed one of the pylons, not with enough force to make it fall though, but I got the idea that I probably should topple them. I didn't choose to do that because I had read the spoilers at the time I got stuck so I knew what would happen. Instead I waited for the portal to open.. Ok, I thought, let's throw the head in it and be a good guy. But wtf? I was a second too late and died. I watched the ending but after the credits I replayed the part and got the Agrippa ending. In any case the atmosphere was kind of ruined so I didn't have that 'winner feeling' although I liked the ending.

I think Daniel was killed by the shadow but would be resurrected by Agrippa. This would be the most fitting ending because, in my opinion, the bad guy (Alexander) is dead and Daniel would be forgiven all the bad things he had done because he also did something good by helping a poor soul.

Well in any case, I think the developers had rushed the ending. I felt it was so buggy and badly designed compared to all the other parts.
It's kind of funny how I remember only the negative stuff although the rest of the game was perfect.

In general the good parts were absolutely awesome and the atmosphere varied from scary as hell to calm and relaxed, not to mention the sick atmosphere in the torture rooms... That even got me nightmares Smile (Don't worry it was only one night, and not too scary.. Mainly just couldn't sleep)
Most of the time the atmosphere was tense, a good thing because it kept the player on his toes all the time. The only calm part was after the running away from the water demon and entering the great hall with the fountain. That part was awesome. It made me feel very relaxed contrary to all the other places. A place like that would have been most welcome also in the later parts of the game.

To summarize: The game was awesome, the story, the music, just about everything but the bugs near the end ruined the whole experience for me. My way of playing might be the reason but anyways..

I wrote this mainly to point out those bugs and to share my opinion about this great game. Also, did the same happen to anyone else? Comment if it did.

09-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Find