Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Improving Textures
Kevin Bacon Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Improving Textures

Signed up just for this thread.

This is awful. All you've done is sharpened the textures to the point where they don't look good anymore, you didn't make them more high-res, you didn't change them, you just ran a five second filter over them. I wasn't expecting some kind of brilliant artwork to be done, but you could of at least played with a few other features of the texture like tweaking it's colour and adding some kind of overlay. These are really awful.
09-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Find
Riku98523 Offline

(09-16-2010, 05:57 AM)Kevin Bacon Wrote: Signed up just for this thread.

This is awful. All you've done is sharpened the textures to the point where they don't look good anymore, you didn't make them more high-res, you didn't change them, you just ran a five second filter over them. I wasn't expecting some kind of brilliant artwork to be done, but you could of at least played with a few other features of the texture like tweaking it's colour and adding some kind of overlay. These are really awful.

I'll be waiting for your texture pack then.
09-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Find
Kevin Bacon Offline

Ah, the old 'critics must make what they critique' argument.

I don't think you understand how the world works, boy.
09-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Find
Riku98523 Offline

(09-16-2010, 06:15 AM)Kevin Bacon Wrote: Ah, the old 'critics must make what they critique' argument.

I don't think you understand how the world works, boy.

K
09-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Find
Funsize Offline

I kind of have to agree with Kevin B. here. While the cobblestones do look much better and less smooth, I instantly saw the wooden beams in the first picture. They have that horrible black/white over-filter thing going on. It may be better to slightly tone down the filter for some of the textures, except the stone, it looks perfect.
09-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Find
Licaon_Kter Offline

Threads: 4

(09-16-2010, 06:08 AM)Riku98523 Wrote: I'll be waiting for your texture pack then.
Oh come on, you knew you would get that too. Smile
Anyway as Kevin B said, this filter does help a bit yet it will not add any new high-res information where there isn't any.

So what filter did you use? How many textures did you do? Did you mess with the normals too? What do you plan next in this regard?

Cheers
09-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Find
Riku98523 Offline

(09-16-2010, 12:35 PM)Licaon_Kter Wrote:
(09-16-2010, 06:08 AM)Riku98523 Wrote: I'll be waiting for your texture pack then.
Oh come on, you knew you would get that too. Smile
Anyway as Kevin B said, this filter does help a bit yet it will not add any new high-res information where there isn't any.

So what filter did you use? How many textures did you do? Did you mess with the normals too? What do you plan next in this regard?

Cheers

He didn't say "it helps a bit" he was rude and an ass hole if you don't like something that's fine but that is no reason to get all huffy and angry about it I mean really I didn't care for this texture thing in the first place but I'm not going to come out and start yelling at the creator as if I would die without a proper texture pack.
09-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Find
Al3xand3r Offline

Threads: 1

He did say he just sharpened them, and it's not "awful" it's just not for you. Personally I think it does help, the muddy look in the original stuff does annoy me sometimes and lessens the atmosphere/joy of exploration. Most of the game looks good but then you get up close to some object and all you can see is a blurry representation of its texture and it puts you off almost more than it would if the whole game looked bad instead, heh. I'd like to see someone do something like this for all the textures. Of course I'd like to see someone take a few months of his time to redo all the textures and normals with actual sweet looking high res counterparts as well, while still being careful not to decrease performance too much, but that's a bit more unrealistic to expect.

And yeah, it's pretty sad you signed up just to be an asshole to someone, boy...
09-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(09-16-2010, 06:08 AM)Riku98523 Wrote:
(09-16-2010, 05:57 AM)Kevin Bacon Wrote: Signed up just for this thread.

I'll be waiting for your texture pack then.

Idfk how to make a Philly Cheesesteak, so I go to a restaurant and order one. I am served a rather mediocre Philly Cheesesteak. I speak up about this and say what the faults of this sandwich are and ask for something better. The cook tells me to make it myself. Quit being a shit, saying things like that to a critic is never warranted. (btw I don't find it bad but there's something called respect of opinions, and also intelligent debate and whatnot. Learn it.)

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Website Find
Al3xand3r Offline

Threads: 1

(09-19-2010, 11:57 PM)Lee Wrote: Idfk how to make a Philly Cheesesteak, so I go to a restaurant and order one. I am served a rather mediocre Philly Cheesesteak. I speak up about this and say what the faults of this sandwich are and ask for something better. The cook tells me to make it myself. Quit being a shit, saying things like that to a critic is never warranted. (btw I don't find it bad but there's something called respect of opinions, and also intelligent debate and whatnot. Learn it.)

The difference is you ordered the steak, and was asked to paid for it. The texture pack was neither ordered, nor paid for, and his opinion of it isn't a fact (surprise, you disagree with it also) so he could at least present it in a more civil manner, if it was to be respected like you think it should be. Respect can be earned, or lost.
09-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Find