Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Monsters AI is like 5 years ago
Jincoco Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Monsters AI is like 5 years ago

(10-01-2010, 12:20 PM)harlequ1n Wrote: I don't understand all these problems with the AI as every single time a monster saw me from a fairly long distance (if I was using the oil lamp that is) it will chase me relentlessly until either I got killed or hid inside another room, wardrobe, etc. I learned to use the lamp as little as possible and just ignite the odd torch on the wall from time to time. Hell the Prison level was the scariest thing ever.

I have to agree. I got the game a week ago on steam and almost near the end. I don’t know what hacked version SmokeSum is playing but I haven’t had that easy of a time with the AI. The AI would spawn where I am trapped in a closed space I would turn off my lantern, run, and duck behind some crates but the monster finds me and slashes me up. I have also hidden in light; they see me and get me. I also hide in the dark; they don’t seem to have a hard time finding me. Daniel freaks out in the dark which doesn’t help but as soon as I turn on my lantern to make him calm down the monster see’s me and kills me. If the ‘hide in full light’ theory works then why is my version setting me up to die almost all the time despite whatever I do? I don’t feel that I am playing like a noob. I run, hide, and avoid looking at the apparently ‘retarded’ AI and I get killed anyway. The monsters are also fast, if I turn a corner or try to jump or hide somewhere they are right behind me, like 2 feet, and it doesn’t matter my effort. The only thing that works good for me is running into a room and closing the door then hiding in a corner but the game doesn’t always have a room with a door setup. Also, don’t know if it’s a bug, but sometimes a monster will not leave a room after he breaks through the door. For example,
Spoiler below!
in the sewers where I am currently stuck, the first brute to break through the gate chases after me and I close the door to the room up the stairs. I hide near the cave-in but as soon as the brute gets into the room he will just stand there. I will lean to the side to see if he is gone but Daniel starts to get tunnel vision as soon as I lean out. I tried looking at the ground and moving out of the cave-in part but the brute see’s me and kills me. The more annoying part is when I die I spawn back in the room but the brute is out on the staircase making it impossible for me to leave the room. He never goes away. I reverted to an earlier save but he still has this strange behavior of lingering and never leaving despite what I do. He will now mostly stay in the first part of the tunnel once you turn the corner of the gate he broke. When I played and he did seem to go away there is also supposed to be a second one at the end of the sewers. When I get there I know I am supposed to make a distraction but I can’t even make it to the part where I am supposed to make the distraction because it seems like he is already aware that I am there and he runs at me. The best I was able to do was hold the dead body out in front of me and the brute would slash it and not me but as soon as I try to move the body moves and the brute hits me and kills me. Daniel also starts to black out and freak out even without looking directly at the brute, it’s getting annoying.
I am sure I will figure it out but it seems like it’s getting harder and harder to get past the enemies without dyeing a few times. I have died so often though that I have noticed something that is stupid to me and should be fixed in the second game. When Daniel is getting attacked by a monster he doesn’t seem to be going insane or yelling or breathing hard. He just sits there and dies. He freaks out more in the dark fearing what could be there but when that fear is a reality he seems to be cool and calm with it. I have had Daniel black out in fear over being in the dark too long but watching a gruesome monster rip him to shreds seems to have little effect on him.
11-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Find
Nospheratu Offline

Threads: 1

I'll jump on the band wagon here and say that the OP is basicly doing it wrongUndecided
The first thing you should consider/read is the starting instructions like not playing to win and immersing yourself becouse that's what this game is all about. Then, like others said, also keep in mind that this was ALL made by just 5 people (instead of 50 - 100 in big companies) who worked for minimal wages just to finish this game. Third and most important of all - monsters are not supposed to climb obstacles or behave smart, becouse the point of a player seeing/hearing a monster is to run away from it and hide in some dark corner, not to jump on a table and dance in front of it while laughing at how stupid it is. You can do that ofcourse but as you already found out it will only prove that the monster can't reach you and that you are thus the smartest person in the game, yay.
Writing such stuff here is like going to a cinema to watch a horror movie and then at each scary scene shouting "That is FAKE BLOOD!", "That's just a man in a rubber suit!" or "In reality this wouldn't work AT ALL!". Everybody knows that, but that's not the point of watching a horror movie, is it Wink
Also in regards of pirating this game becouse the expirience wasn't worth the money (your opinion) I'd advise you to read the increasing number of posts of pirates who have already finished the game and then bought it becouse they were so impressed with it (I am one of them); I'd say that reality proves you wrong on that point.

Better to reign in hell than to be a servant in heaven.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2010, 11:13 AM by Nospheratu.)
11-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Find
flcn27 Offline

Threads: 4

Amnesia is, in my opinion, the best horror game I've ever played. But to fully understand how brilliant this game is, immersion is very important. A dark room, headphones and high volume are a must. The OP proves that he didn't fully immerse himself because he was trying to explore the boundaries of this game.

Yes, you can jump on every object, throw objects at monsters or try to make use of every little glitch this game has. Because this is a game and every game has bugs.

And yes, the monsters can't jump or fly or hit you when you're standing on an object. Does that make them any less scary? Not if you fully immerse yourself.

If you immerse yourself and believe that you are Daniel, would you EVER deliberately lure a monster to your position and jump on a tiny box? No.

Evertime I enter a room in this game, I block the door with objects. Even when I'm 100% sure that there are no monsters nearby (for example, in the beginning of this game). When I see a monster, I run away and hide in a dark corner.

AI, graphics... all those things don't matter as long as they don't break the immersion. In Amnesia, they don't. I think the AI and graphics in Amnesia are great, especially if you consider that Amnesia was made by only five people.

To the OP: play the game again like it's meant to be played and then think about the AI again. I'm sure your opinion will change Wink.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM by flcn27.)
11-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Find