Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Agrippa - What?
HowdyMcGee Offline

Threads: 4
Agrippa - What?

I dont' really remember Agrippa being apart of this thing, and barely remember weyner... What are their roles - why are they in this? Why do they have the power?
09-16-2010, 03:26 AM
Find
dvow Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Agrippa - What?

Er, play the game and find out? You probably wandered away from Agrippa before he finished talking. He tells you everything, but takes forever, and pauses constantly. It's easy to wander away, thinking he's done.
09-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Find
CD Set Offline

Actually, I think most of his (and Weyer's) backstory is explained through notes and other entries that you find. I agree though, some of it can be hard to miss.
09-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Find
HowdyMcGee Offline

Threads: 4

lol I played it and understood Daniel/Alexanders part but it's still a bit sketchy between agrippa and weyner...
09-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Find
Crabski Offline

Threads: 2

(09-17-2010, 01:54 AM)HowdyMcGee Wrote: lol I played it and understood Daniel/Alexanders part but it's still a bit sketchy between agrippa and weyner...

This. In fact, it's apparently sketchy enough that he misspelled Weyer.
09-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Find
dvow Offline

The reason why Agrippa seems to come out of nowhere later on, is because the writer had to write the game's plot as the levels were made, and couldn't return to change anything. Agrippa was supposed to be just a minor character. He became a major character later on though, as the game was developed, but because the game before this point was finished, the writer couldn't go back and edit the story so Agrippa has a stronger role earlier on. (This is mentioned in the game's commentary.)

This made the entire story a bit weaker for me. The writer was basically forced to write the story without the ability to go back and edit it. So any mistakes--such as Agrippa not being well introduced before he seems to pop out of nowhere--couldn't be properly fixed.

This was one of the biggest issues with the story for me. The entire story sort of fell short of expectations toward the end. I didn't really care nor feel satisfied when I accomplished any of the endings. I also really didn't care about Agrippa. He posed no significance to me, and I only made his potion so I could see the 'good' ending. If he were introduced much earlier, and didn't feel like something haphazardly thrown in toward the end, my feelings would have been much different.
09-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Find
stevensonbak Offline

Threads: 0

FUN FACT

Agrippa, or Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa von Nettesheim, was a real person living in the 15th and 16th century who was famous for his works in the occult and being labeled as a "magician" in his time.

I love when real historical figures are included in video games, its like, "Hey, I know that guy!"
11-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Find
Unreal Offline

Threads: 9

(11-14-2010, 06:42 AM)stevensonbak Wrote: FUN FACT

Agrippa, or Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa von Nettesheim, was a real person living in the 15th and 16th century who was famous for his works in the occult and being labeled as a "magician" in his time.

I love when real historical figures are included in video games, its like, "Hey, I know that guy!"

Interesting. I did not know this.
11-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Find
Nevyn Offline

Weyer as well, copied from wiki:

Johann Weyer was a Dutch physician, occultist and demonologist, disciple and follower of Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa. He was among the first to publish against the persecution of witches. His most influential work is De Praestigiis Daemonum et Incantationibus ac Venificiis (On the Illusions of the Demons and on Spells and Poisons, 1563).
11-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

I guess I didn't notice any sudden plot jarring when Agrippa showed up. I just assumed he had been cordoned off and unavailable to Daniel during his stay, since he is nearly unable to speak to you until you enable his bizarre contraption. I assumed he wouldn't speak up while Alexander was nearby, monitoring.
11-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Find