Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Unscripted Scares (minor spoilers)
ShaggE Offline

Threads: 2
Unscripted Scares (minor spoilers)

First off, this is the single best horror game I've ever played, and I've played a large majority of them. Silent Hill and Fatal Frame used to be the kings for me, but Frictional's games blow the others out of the water.

That said, I'm curious to see if anybody else had any heartstopping moments in Amnesia (or Penumbra, for that matter) that clearly weren't scripted.

I've had two across the two games so far.

Penumbra: Black Plague: I had hidden behind a desk from a monster that was searching the room. A couple minutes pass, and I no longer hear the monster, so I peek over the desk... and the damn thing is an inch from my face, staring right at me! I literally leaped from my chair and threw my mouse. Until Amnesia, that was the crowning moment of fear in games for me.

Amnesia: The prison. Oh man, the prison. I'm walking about aimlessly, when suddenly I get an urge to run and hide. I pick a random cell to barricade myself in. After I block off the doorway, I turn around to see if there are any tinderboxes. Guess what was standing right behind me the whole time? I was so paralyzed by the shock that I just let it kill me. My hands did not stop shaking until the next morning.

Anyone have any similar anecdotes?
09-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Find
Crabski Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Unscripted Scares (minor spoilers)

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-4309.html
09-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

My biggest scare that made my heart jump a mile was when I
Spoiler below!
opened the iron maiden and the sudden music sound happened.
wasn't exactly scared but it sure made me jump and congratulate the designer for getting to me.(after cursing him outloud).

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Find
OO Agent Offline

Threads: 5

(09-24-2010, 04:36 PM)Jinix Wrote: My biggest scare that made my heart jump a mile was when I
Spoiler below!
wasn't exactly scared but it sure made me jump and congratulate the designer for getting to me.(after cursing him outloud).

same here actually. i wasnt expecting that to happen >< biggest "jump" moment in the game for me as well.

but the most frightening moment in the game for me that was semi-unscripted happened *drum roll* in the Storage Cellar! After getting the Rod and hiding from the scripted grunt that appeared, I made my way back to the main room in the cellar to be killed by the grunt waiting near the top of the staircase. I was revived and sloooowly made my way back to the area where i was killed. no sign of the grunt but the music started playing. "gotta be over here somewhere" i thought to myself. then the music started playing indicating O HAI, I CAN SEE YOU!!! and then i started looking all around "WHERE IS HE?! WHERE IS HE?!" I thought. only to turn around quickly HEY THAR! *maul*

Scared the **** out of me.
09-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Find
Viter Offline

Threads: 0

(09-24-2010, 04:36 PM)Jinix Wrote: My biggest scare that made my heart jump a mile was when I
Spoiler below!

but that's scripted.
09-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Find
Mekose Offline

Threads: 1

Very minor spoilers.

My first really bad scare was right after elevator I slowly walked up some stairs to light a torch for later exploration. As I got near the lantern I heard a loud garbled moan. I chill ran up my neck as I saw "Mr. Sacky" (as I like to call him). He immediately saw me and started shambling towards me. I hadn't explored the area so I didn't know any potential hiding spots yet. I ran as fast as I could back too the elevator room to try and jump up on a lion statue for safety. As I was running I heard his footsteps get more and more frequent. I thought to myself "HOLY SHIT HE CAN RUN!". As I passed a barred gate I turned around to close it, he was standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! I practically shit myself and threw my mouse. I managed to jump to the right at the last second avoiding his clawed hand and saw his face enlarged right in my face. I then turned around and ran to try and scurry up the sloped wall to get out of his range. To my dismay he actually seemed to jump up with me. I couldn't escape. The AI was exceedingly more intelligent than I had imagined. I later spent about 45 minutes talking to my friend (who was playing at the same time at the same place) to walk up the stairs again. Finally I pumped myself up enough to just book it up the stairs expected a quick death. I ran up the stairs screaming and turned the corner expecting to see his ghastly claws again. . . He wasn't there. I immediately realized I didn't want to die anymore and ran into the closest room with my tail between my legs. This game is masterful at fucking your mind up hard. I love you Frictional. Have my babies.

Tl.DR: AAAAHHHH!!!

I have another one that's my worst scare, perhaps another time.
09-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Find