Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Why people didn't buy it
tomrhod Offline

Threads: 1
Why people didn't buy it

So just to be kind, I did a little market research as to why people weren't buying the game.

The results? Either no money / spent money on something else / too scary. Thought the team might be interested.
09-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Find
Al3xand3r Offline

RE: Why people didn't buy it

(09-20-2010, 10:10 PM)tomrhod Wrote: So just to be kind, I did a little market research as to why people weren't buying the game.

The results? Either no money / spent money on something else / too scary. Thought the team might be interested.

Meh. People with no money aren't potential buyers anyway. Same for non-horror fans. Would be nice to find people actually interested in such games and ask why they didn't buy it instead, if they knew of it.

Anyway, would have been nice if it sold more initially but I don't think Frictional should give up on it, reception from players and critics is great so maybe it needs more pushing. It was TGS week so everyone was drooling over upcoming stuff... Perhaps releasing the odd short custom scenario every couple months to show up on Steam pop ups etc will help... Maybe a scenario contest on moddb... Maybe a second demo with the beginning of the actual game as I personally thought the pacing and mood in the full game is much better than the condensed events and scenes in the demo. And if all else fails then a weekend price cut on Steam and the other services... Not 50% or anything big like that though since it's already cheap, maybe same as the preorder offers, 10-20%. And have places like independent gaming and TIGSource posted about the game? Send them news of the game release, and of the tools release if they have posted about the game already... Stuff like that...
09-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Find
Stemot Offline

Threads: 0

I bought it even though I have never played Penumbra and I hate scary games. I just wanted to support a decent indie PC only developer.
09-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Find
tomrhod Offline

Quote:Would be nice to find people actually interested in such games and ask why they didn't buy it instead, if they knew of it.

Well, that is essentially what I asked. There were a number of horror fans in the thread.
09-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

Alternately because it takes no effort (and they don't have to get off their asses) to pirate the game. Competing with something that is nearly effortless is pretty hard.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
09-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Find
ZIGS Offline

Threads: 8

On a good note, Amnesia is back on the Steam top sellers list (10th), which means sales have risen as of late Smile
09-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Find
Al3xand3r Offline

(09-20-2010, 11:31 PM)WindexGlow Wrote: Alternately because it takes no effort (and they don't have to get off their asses) to pirate the game. Competing with something that is nearly effortless is pretty hard.
You mean as effortless as accusing people on the internet? Even if Amnesia was impossible to pirate the people who don't buy games could move on to the next game that isn't impossible to pirate so that wouldn't necessarily increase sales. Almost all games can be pirated, but plenty of them sell great, indie (Minecraft anyone?) or not (*cough*Valve*cough*), so obviously there are many groups of people that buy games and those are the groups that all developers aspire to attract, ie, actual potential customers...
(09-21-2010, 12:10 AM)ZIGS Wrote: On a good note, Amnesia is back on the Steam top sellers list (10th), which means sales have risen as of late Smile
Or the other games' sales decreased...
09-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Find
tomrhod Offline

Quote:Or the other games' sales decreased...

I see you're a glass-half-full kinda guy. ;-)
09-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Find
Deu sex Offline

Threads: 26

the game is making a back in the best sellers on steam Smile

7th ^^
09-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

Just wait this game is gonna work out okay for FrictionalGames.
I went to your survey and added a reply. The more people comment around the boards on the net, the more word will spread.
I've been all over the place making comments.
I've got a list of various places to add comments but some links are are dumb and I have not tried them all yet. i got the list from the net, it was just a text but I have made them into links.
You can find the list here http://www.brennenburg.com/index.html see LIST on the right side of the page.
This is just a new site I'm playing around with.
About the title of your topic ... you should have added YET! to the topic's end

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Find