Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

PSN/PlayStation Move (Again)
trankillity Offline

Threads: 1
PSN/PlayStation Move (Again)

I specifically registered an account here just to stir this pot one more time. I realise that it's been covered in many other threads before and I've read through them all but they've all been about generic ports, not one specific port.

I played the demo and was very interested, but I'm also of the opinion that the PC is a waning platform due to all the piracy. I agree that with the big boys of development leaving PC gaming, it allows indies to flourish more but it still doesn't have that mass awareness and saturation that console gaming has.

I think that this game would be an absolutely perfect fit for a downloadable PSN game using the Move as an exclusive control scheme with no option to use the gamepad at all. I say this because I'm currently engrossed in the Move edition of Heavy Rain. Their implementation of the Move control scheme is the exact way I could see Amnesia working where you literally have to reach into the screen, pull the trigger, twist the knob and reach out of the screen to open a door. Combine this with stereoscopic 3D rendering and Frictional's fantastic use of surround sound and you'd have one of the most terrifying and engrossing games around.

Now I know that a lot of you claim that there's a very high barrier to entry in developing for consoles, but this just isn't the case any more. Sure, it's a crapload higher than developing for PC, but that's to be expected with such stringent standards and unique console architectures. That being said, Sony dropped the cost of the PS3 dev kit to $2kUS last year and they also have some mentoring/sponsorship programs for developing games exclusively for the PSN.

A quick bit of background on me so that you know I'm not just some frothing console fanboi: Started gaming in 1987 with the Atari 2600 then moving to the NES and then to a long stint of PC gaming until getting a Wii then a PS3. So that's a good 10 years of PC-exclusive gaming right there with pedigree such as the original Sam n Max game, all the LucasArts adventure titles as well as every major game in every genre from FPS (Doom/Quake) to RPG (Betrayal at Krondor, Baldur's Gate, Diablo) to Strategy (Warcraft 1/2, Total Annihilation, Civilization).

Fast forward to today when I have my 50" TV, my 7.1 surround sound and my PlayStation with Move hooked up in my living room and an aging, noisy PC on a 24" monitor in my bedroom. I'm past the stage where I can be bothered (or have time to) keep up to date in technology on my PC. I'd much rather just sit back on my couch and play games that I know will work and that don't require any effort to get working.

This combined with the fact that the Move controls really do work to a ridiculously accurate degree and you've got me frothing at the mouth for this to happen.
09-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Find