Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insanity areas?
Equil Offline

Threads: 8
Insanity areas?

What do these areas do? Do they automatically apply sanity damage slowly while the player is inside one? I made one on my test map and stood inside it for a good 5 minutes without it effecting my sanity the slightest, so I looked at some of the official maps(mainly the storage map) to see how they used them.

I looked through the script for the storage map and found no functions/callbacks referring to any of these areas. Can anyone shed some light on this? Their purpose is probably painfully obvious and I've just missed something. Undecided
10-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Find
HakePT Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Insanity areas?

I used my dev account and tested it.

Apparently insanity areas cause Daniel to hear things if his sanity is low enough. I was using the testing mode so i brought Daniel sanity to 0 and in the corner it said "Starting insanity event whispering" and soon i was hearing whispers.
I also experienced other things such as some type of small duration flashback.
Probably makes bugs crawl on screen as well.

Didn't notice any other effects. So just place them in dark scary areas so the player will start to hear stuff there.
They can also be set so they will only trigger once.

Hmmm think i'm going to make a creepy area where the player has to go and put a insanity effect while they solve a puzzle. Tongue
10-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Find
Equil Offline

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely be using some of those in my map. Smile Um, do you know -how- low insanity has to be for them to have any effect?
10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Find
HakePT Offline

Threads: 1

(10-01-2010, 04:17 PM)Equil Wrote: Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely be using some of those in my map. Smile Um, do you know -how- low insanity has to be for them to have any effect?

Sanity is a number like health that ranges from 100~0.

Between 100~75 --> crystal clear
75~50--> slight headache
50~25--> head pounding and etc
25~0--> ...

When it reaches 0 Daniel collapses to the ground, and when he gets up his sanity is set back up to 35.
Sanity regenerates while in the light up to 50. To get higher after that either event from script, or potion.

As far as i know anything bellow 50 will trigger the area. Sanity events have a "cooldown timer" before they happen again. Something from 70 to 160 seconds. There are other things involved but I don't know how they work yet.
10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Find
Equil Offline

Okay, thanks alot for your thorough explanation! Big Grin
10-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Find